Macro to Compare Two Worksheets?

I'm having a bit of a Saturday crisis. I have two very large reports (a few
thousand lines each), each one on a different sheet of the same workbook.
Each report has many columns, including the following four:

PART NUMBER
PRODUCT NAME
PRODUCT SIZE
PRODUCT SERIES

We've become aware that the product size for each part varies between the
two reports. My boss, a coworker, and I have started correllating the reports
by hand to see which sizes vary and by how much. Even sorting them to the
max, this will take DAYS.

Is there a macro that will compare the part numbers on each sheet and show
only the ones whose size varies on a third worksheet? This third worksheet
would have five columns: the part number, product name, product series,
product size as shown on worksheet 1 and product size as shown on worksheet
2. Products whose sizes were the same between the two reports would not
appear.

To complicate matters, one report is much larger thah the other, so many
parts may not have matches at all. When this happens, the third worksheet
should show the same ID info as if there were a match, but simply return "NO
MATCH" as the value.

Sigh. I know thiat is advanced stuff that really my company should pay for,
but they won't and I'm stuck. Could anyone please help?

I forgot to mention that there are more than a few cases where the same part
number appears twice or even three times on one report, each time with a
different size. When this happens, the third worksheet should show each
non-matching iteration of the part number with the sizes that didn't match.
(It can just show the same number and ID info on multiple lines, each line
with a different size.)

Does this make sense? I'm leaving my desk for awhile go cry.

Jim Cone

A commercial program alternative from yours truly has a free trial offer.
Maybe that will get you off the hook. Look for XL Companion at...

And maybe your boss will like it enough to keep it around.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"V. Hatherley"