Lots of Probs IE 6.0 - Delayed Response, Freezing, System Slowdown

MizzEve

I've started having lots of problems with IE a few weeks
ago.

Symptoms:

- On all IE forms, there is a very long lag when I try to
tab or move the cursor to the next field, or even when
there is only one field to complete, there is a very long
lag to enter/send the doc. For example, if I'm at a site
where I have to type in my username, then tab to the
password box, it lags between the boxes and then again
when I try to click enter. What should take less than 20
secs, now can take nearly two minutes.

- All usernames, passwords and saved previous info is gone
(the dropdown menus are gone). For example, if I do a
Google search, when I type in the search terms, I will NOT
get the dropdown box with my previous searches. IE will
not save or will not show previous entries.

- My PC slows down horribly after a couple of hours of
use; The cursor will barely respond. For example, I used
to be able to leave my pc on throughout the day. Now, it
nearly freezes up completely in aprox. 2 hours. It's as
if I have no system resources left, but I do.

- Links take a very long time.

- Pstore.log shows hundreds of errors, starting date when
the problem began:

02-14-2004 16:56:54 ServiceStart error! (rc=2)

Troubleshooting Efforts:

- Cleared temp files, cookies, passwords, forms.

- Used MS Knowledge Base Art 251787 - exported
hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\services then
reinstalled and restarted.

Can anyone offer any help?

Don Varnau

This is almost certainly being caused by a third-party program (adware,
spyware, parasite)

First, from IE> Tools> Internet Options> Accessibility, is User Style Sheet
checked? If you don't deliberately use a style sheet, note the name of the
sheet and uncheck it. You can find and delete the sheet if you wish.

The existence of a style sheet would indicate DataNotary, a CWS variant.
Download and run CWShredder from
(alternate download: http://www.zerosrealm.com/downloads.php)
If you don't find a style sheet, CWS is still a good first step.

Next:
Download, install, *update* and run these two programs:
Ad-aware from http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
Spybot from http://security.kolla.de/ (Remove items listed in red- others
are optional.)

Additional information, including security tips at:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Post back if this doesn't fix things for you.

Don

Don,

I don't have an "accessability" tab available under
Internet Options. Where do I find it?

--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

"MizzEve" <anonymous[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP

It's a button on the bottom of the General tab,

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com