lost restore points

artboy from Oz

I hope someone has an answer for me...I can find no-one who's encountered
this before.
My Windows XP home has re-started itself. That is, I switched on my PC to
find a welcoming screen, set to defaults and all my settings, favourites,
everything, gone.
On attempting to run system restore, I found all my restore points had
disappeared.
I have an admin account separate from my main identity and logged in so I
could poke around with windows explorer.
All my previous incarnations (it's happened before) are there in "documents
and settings" in my c drive. In the past I've been able to work around this
by simply going in and re-naming my old identity folder to the new name
generated by windows, or moving files, but in this case my new stuff is
running from a "temp" folder set up in my "docs and settings".
I can access my various files and apps by poking around in the file
structure but it's a bummer to lose my e-mails.
Does anyone know a work-around for this? I'd be really grateful.

Artboy.

db

what you are experiencing may
be just a prelude of other issues
your o.s. has but you have not
encountered as of yet. My presumption
is that your o.s. is corrupted by
malware.

what i suggest is to do
a repair installation with
your windows cd.

boot with it and do an
inplace upgrade via its menu.

then when it finds the previously
installed o.s. it will give you the
choice to repair it or replace it.

repairing the o.s. will keep your
other programs still intact. Also,
since the repair install resets your
o.s., it would have deleted all
the restore points accumulated by
the former installation.

keep in mind that this may repair
some corrupted o.s. files and should
get you back into the desktop.

however, the problems you had
encountered could be a result
of malware. Therefore, you would
need to disinfect your system accordingly...

if the repair install mentioned
above proves to be successful
i would boot to safe mode at once
and disable all your startups in the
msconfig to keep malware from launching.

also, bare in mind that you do not want
to initiate/run "any" programs that
are not microsoft or antivirals because
you may initiate malware to execute
their malicious programming again..

- db

[...]

Thanks heaps for that. I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Artboy
"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message what you are experiencing may
[...]

ok.