lost all navigation files from index.htm

G

Had just finished creating a newpage1 to my exisiting website. I was in the process of renaming newpage1, that was located in the file folder right above index.htm. Not sure how, but newpage1 was turned into the index.htm and not what I typed in. The orginal home page, index.htm was then automatically renamed indexold.htm. I saw that my home page was renamed to indexold.htm, opened it to make sure it was the homepage, and immediately renamed the home page back to index.htm. Now my index.htm home page is no longer connected to my files in the navigation view. All of my files are visible in the folder view, but only the index.htm displays from the navigivation view. Is there a way to add the index.htm back into the correct navigation structure (using the file folders) of the website? Is there some way to use the existing file folders to repair the navigation of the website without rebuiling the navigation of the website one page at a time?

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

That could be because you put it in a different folder.
You may want to put it back in the root folder (unless you intentionally wanted it in a separate folder).
Then go to Navigation and reconnect all your other pages to depending on how you want the structure to be.
Recalculate Hyperlinks
RePublish.

| Had just finished creating a newpage1 to my exisiting website. I was in the process of renaming newpage1, that was located in the file folder right above index.htm. Not sure how, but newpage1 was turned into the index.htm and not what I typed in. The orginal home page, index.htm was then automatically renamed indexold.htm. I saw that my home page was renamed to indexold.htm, opened it to make sure it was the homepage, and immediately renamed the home page back to index.htm. Now my index.htm home page is no longer connected to my files in the navigation view. All of my files are visible in the folder view, but only the index.htm displays from the navigivation view. Is there a way to add the index.htm back into the correct navigation structure (using the file folders) of the website? Is there some way to use the existing file folders to repair the navigation of the website without rebuiling the navigation of the website one page at a time?

G

I don't think it is in a new folder, because when I use the Folder view, the index.htm it is right there were it always is, along with all of the other file folders. The folder/file pages are no longer linked to the index.htm home page in the Navigation view. Only index.htm is there. Do I have to rebuild the navigation to the index.htm home page in Navigation view? Or is there some way to reconnect the index.htm back to the files as the home page from the Folder view?

T

Thomas A. Rowe

You have to re-build your navigation view.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

mwp said:
I don't think it is in a new folder, because when I use the Folder view, the index.htm it is right
there were it always is, along with all of the other file folders. The folder/file pages are no
longer linked to the index.htm home page in the Navigation view. Only index.htm is there. Do I
have to rebuild the navigation to the index.htm home page in Navigation view? Or is there some way
to reconnect the index.htm back to the files as the home page from the Folder view?

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Only if the remote server has the FP extensions, and you can open the site directly in FP and
publish back to your local machine, can you maintain the navigation structure, etc.

--
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

mwp said:
Before I rebuild my navigation back to index.htm homepage on my C drive is there some way to back
up the working correct website from my webhost service? The current working version of my website
exists only on the internet, my C drive and CD backups are not current. If I can copy the working
current website from the webhost I could copy it back to frontpage on the C drive. I tried this
earlier, it only saved a short cut to the site.

S

Stefan B Rusynko

If the online site has the FP SE
Open in it FP and publish it back to your local disc based location

--

| Before I rebuild my navigation back to index.htm homepage on my C drive is there some way to back up the working correct website
from my webhost service? The current working version of my website exists only on the internet, my C drive and CD backups are not
current. If I can copy the working current website from the webhost I could copy it back to frontpage on the C drive. I tried this
earlier, it only saved a short cut to the site.

Ask a Question