Losing data when using IE back button

Hi, I'm using IE 6 with SP1, on windows 2000. Let me start by saying that I
have deleted my TIFs and that the settings have been increased to 32000 MB
for the amount of space it can use (the max it will allow me to allocate).
Also, I have tried both check for newer versions of stores pages
"Automatically" and " Everytime you start IE" ..... and I'm STILL having the
following problem:

I'm taking a course online and part of it is taking some tests. I take a
test, submit it for correction. Then I see my test with my errors. When I
want to go back to the test itself to correct my errors, IE6 has started
displaying my test page with all my previous answers cleared out! This is an
intermittent problem, i.e. sometimes my answers will be there and sometimes
they won't. A lot of the students in the same course report the same problem
and no one seems to know how to fix it. I have been taking this course for
several months and the problem started only recently. I am being very
careful to only use the IE back button, not the back button that exists in
the webpage that I am viewing.

HELP! TIA.
Nathalie

Don Varnau

Hi,
Clearing the cache was a good first step. But, I would set the TIF folder
size to 50-60 MB- not as large as it will go.

Some other possibilities:
Internet Options> Security> Internet Zone> Custom> Userdata persistence>
Enable.

Internet Options> Advanced> uncheck "Do not save encrypted pages to disk"

Internet Options> Privacy... are you allowing cookies?

Try disabling (briefly, as a test) any ad-blocking or privacy/security
programs that
are running.

Not likely to be causing this problem, but if you have a HOSTS file at
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC, rename it (as a test) to HOSTS.OLD. You may
have to enable "Show hidden files" in order to see it. HOSTS.SAM and
LM.HOSTS are different- they're not the HOSTS file that should be renamed.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Nathalie" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Hi Don, thanks for your reply :)

I reset the cache size to 61 MB

Internet Options> Security> Internet Zone> Custom> Userdata persistence>
Enable. - WAS ALREADY ENABLED

Internet Options> Advanced> uncheck "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" -
WAS ALREADY UNCHECKED

Internet Options> Privacy... are you allowing cookies? YES, I WAS/AM

Try disabling (briefly, as a test) any ad-blocking or privacy/security
programs that are running. - DON'T HAVE ANY ON MY OWN PC. My husband is
running Norton on his and the cable modem is actually plugged in his PC, I
have a wireless modem, if that makes a difference. (?)

Not likely to be causing this problem, but if you have a HOSTS file at
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC, rename it (as a test) to HOSTS.OLD. You may
have to enable "Show hidden files" in order to see it. HOSTS.SAM and
LM.HOSTS are different- they're not the HOSTS file that should be renamed.
- I RENAMED THAT HOSTS FILE.

I just tested IE and it's showing my data when I hit the back button, but as
I said earlier, the problem is intermittent so I'm not sure yet if renaming
that file did anything. I'll just repost here if my problem persists...
meanwhile, I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

"Nathalie" wrote in message
[...]

Hi again.... well, none of this worked. I'm still having the same problem.
Any other suggestions?

"Nathalie" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, I don't know what else to check. Since the problem is intermittent
and affects others, it sounds like it may be a server problem.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Nathalie" wrote in message

OK, that's what my husband initially suggested :) I'll talk to the IT people
from that online school and see what they say.
Thanks.

"Nathalie" wrote in message
Hi again.... well, none of this worked. I'm still having the same problem.
Any other suggestions?

: renamed.

Robert Aldwinckle

I am being very careful to only use the IE back button, not the back button
that exists in the webpage that I am viewing.

Actually, depending on how the application works, that could be backwards.
Pressing the IE back button only tells IE to go back using the History.
If you are online and depending on your cache checking setting
IE may decide to send a check for that URL. Depending on how your
data is transmitted that might or might not result in you seeing a page
with your data.

In contrast I think that if the application provides a Back link in the
web page you could have a greater chance of seeing your data again,
if that's the way it works.

Until you get comfortable with knowing how the application works
and depending how much you have invested in what you are entering,
the safest and most prudent thing to do would be before sending
something to save it, at least to the clipboard, where it can easily be
retrieved, and thus avoid ever having to totally rewrite something.
BTW if it something that you are *really* spending a lot of time on
you should be taking hard checkpoints of it (e.g. copying it to a file and
saving the file to disk), to guard against unlikely but possible problems
such as application failure, system failure or power outage.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---