Word Lose the page number, keep the legal pleading lines in Word

Reaction score
OK, in Word, in a legal pleading that was created using Word's pleading wizard, how can I not have the number appear on the first page AND not lose my pleading lines and numbers. There must be a fix for this, but I cannot find it. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
OK, I think I can help.

In Word: go to: insert - page numbers - uncheck the box that says 'number on first page' and click ok. Your document will be page numbered from 2 onwards.

Is that what you means?

Get back to us if I have misread.

Love

Gabs x

Reaction score
You're half-way right

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. The problem with Word's pleading paper is that, if you check the "different first page" box, you lose the lines and numbers in the right and left margins that make it look like legal pleading paper. I have been a legal secretary for 8+ years and I have never found anyone who knew a work-around for this, but back when there was no e-filing with the Court, it didn't matter. You just used white-out to get rid of the little 0 on the first page (or caption page), copied it, and made the new caption page the original. However, with e-filing, you have to distill the document in the computer and send it to the Court using OCR technology, not by printing and then scanning, and there lies the rub. There's no way to use white-out in the computer. Any help anyone has would be very appreciated.

Thanks a million!

Reaction score
Here's what pleading paper looks like

I don't know if this is the same in England as the States. Even within the States, not all states require pleading paper. Again, thanks for any help!

Attachments

• pleadingpaper.pdf
    2.8 KB · Views: 205

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Ok Steph - I do work in a legal context and have a further suggestion:

Why not use line numbering or put the text into a table and number each line (I have done both - the former does count paragraph breaks as a line whereas in the table format you can control it). Then go to file - insert - page numbers.

To get line numbering - file - page set up - layout - add line numbering

I have very recently done something very similar to what you are asking about.

Any good??

Gabs xx

Ask a Question