Lose Internet--taskbar blink

S

Sean

I´m using a Dell laptop running Windows XP Home edition.
Internet connection is dial-up.

Occasionally, while online, the gray taskbar flashes
between gray and white several times, and a second, empty
gray taskbar becomes visible beneath this one, and the
Internet connection is lost. All applications that are
using it then attempt to open a new one. However, the
connection isn't really closed, and hence the dial-up
application says the modem is busy (or the port open).

In reality, the old connection remains open (even if
completely apart from the system). You can even hear the
data transmission if you have a phone set connected to
the same line. The icon on the taskbar remains, but any
attempt to open the properties tab or disconnet fails.
The connection also shows up as active in the Network
Connections folder, and in the Task Manager.

Question: Is this a known issue? Is it likely to be
resolved with XP SP1? Any know solutions to prevent this
from happening? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

G

I've got XP home & dial-up (both have their querks at times) but from what you describe, it is possible you have a hyjacker trying to gain access to your computer or using an attional dialler that they've installed

Firstly I Suggest you make sure that any sensitive documents/personal details backed-up and/or secured. Run your Virus checker good, free virus checker at http://housecall.trendmicro.com & also check for spyware/hyjackers (you will need to download spy removal software http://doxdesk.com/

Secondly, you need to check that you really can't disconnect: I presume you have double clicked the Icon & tried to disconnect that way ? other way of disconnecting is : right clicking on same icon. another is minimizing your explorer window & right clicking your ISP symbol (if you have on on the desk top) & try disconnecting via it's properties. another way is with IE minimized again, go to start, control panel & find you Internet options or dial-up connections folder, you can right-click your ISP logo there & disconnect .

Ask a Question