Looking for information concerning the limits of Access

Erwin Moller

Hi group,

Maybe this is a silly question, but I have to answer it for a customer, and
I have no clue where to start looking for information.

Situation: I developed a few officetools for a customer years ago. It was
ASP/VB script with Access as backend database, all webdriven stuff, no
dot.net.

Now they grew a lot and the database is getting bigger and bigger.
(Luckily it is not getting slower and slower, so I probably designed it well
in those days. :p)

Now they want to know IF and WHEN access will give up.
They worry about very large tables and such.

I told them they better start worrying about that if a problem arrises, but
they don't agree.

Well, now I have to answer questions like: how many row can a table hold?
How big can an access database grow?
(Personally I think these questions are silly because at the moment the
database is only around 10 meg big, and holds 20.000 row max in a table,
which I expect to be not even close to some magical boundary, but I could
be wrong.)

It runs on a W2000 Server with Access 2000.
Everything is up-to-date.

I have no clue where to find such information.

Can anybody help and point me to such resources?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Erwin Moller

RoyVidar

Erwin Moller wrote in message
[...]

The theoretic limit is 2GB, but I've read that it might start behaving
bit strange when you're getting closer to it. But I wouldn't know,
cause
I've never had databases that big ;-)

Here's a link on capabilities
http://www.databasezone.com/techdocs/acclimit.html

Erwin Moller

RoyVidar said:
Erwin Moller wrote in message

The theoretic limit is 2GB, but I've read that it might start behaving
bit strange when you're getting closer to it. But I wouldn't know,
cause
I've never had databases that big ;-)

Me neither. :p

Thanks, that is a nice overview to throw in the face of people who bug me
with difficult questions. :)

Erwin Moller

John Vinson

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:43:46 +0100, Erwin Moller

You can use "Specifications" as a keyword in the online help to get
all the information also posted on the website elsethread.
Well, now I have to answer questions like: how many row can a table hold?
How big can an access database grow?
(Personally I think these questions are silly because at the moment the
database is only around 10 meg big, and holds 20.000 row max in a table,
which I expect to be not even close to some magical boundary, but I could
be wrong.)

<chuckle> Tiny. When you get 200 times the current size you're out of
room; a hundred times bigger should be no sweat with proper design.

I know of at least one database with a 20,000,000 row table. In
practice, when you either get to 5,000,000 rows *or* start having
unresolvable performance problems you can start thinking about moving
the backend to SQL/Server (and you may decide you're just fine where
you are).

John W. Vinson[MVP]

George Nicholson

You can also check the Help file using "specifications" or "limitations" as
a search term. The 2 gig limitation is there, along with other constraints.

--
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.

"Erwin Moller"

Erwin Moller

John said:
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:43:46 +0100, Erwin Moller

You can use "Specifications" as a keyword in the online help to get
all the information also posted on the website elsethread.

<chuckle> Tiny. When you get 200 times the current size you're out of
room; a hundred times bigger should be no sweat with proper design.

I know of at least one database with a 20,000,000 row table. In
practice, when you either get to 5,000,000 rows *or* start having
unresolvable performance problems you can start thinking about moving
the backend to SQL/Server (and you may decide you're just fine where
you are).

That will be Postgresql for sure. If it is up to me.
But hey, who is asking my opinion? ;-)
I am not a big fan of M$ stuff, but it is everywhere around me, so I have to
adopt. :p
Just last week I discovered that the same SQL produces different results if
ran through ASP/VB/Jet or directly pasted into the querywindow of Access.
Turned out that the LIKE characters are different. * in access and % (as it
should be) through ASP/VB/Jet. Pfft.. Very confusing. :-/
(missing Postgresql, but I'll get over it. :p )

Thanks for your response and time!

Regards,
Erwin Moller