Looking for cheap high-res scanner with document feeder...

Dances With Crows

I'm looking for a reasonably priced scanner that can output 1-bit TIFFs
at 1000 or 1200 DPI. Grayscale or color isn't really important; I only
need black-and-white images. I'll have to scan 1000-2000 6x9" pages of
paper per week with this machine, so an automatic document feeder would
be really nice. Trouble is, almost every high-volume scanner I've seen
on pricewatch tops out at 800 DPI. The scanning software that comes
with the machine isn't really important either; I have access to a bunch
of custom code for deskew/despeckle and cleanup.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice, please follow up to the
newsgroup. Thanks!

ES

I don't have any suggestions for you but am curious to know why you
need 1000 dpi 1-bit images.

I would like to find a flatbed scanner that will scan 300-600 1-bit
letter-size as fast as I can flip pages of a book. My HP 4C does 4 per
minute. I would love at least 10.

I think that currently the only option is a digital copy machine which I
imagine costs at least $3000. My guess is that in maybe 5 years there
will be a $500 digital camera that can replace my 4c and do 10 1-bit
pics a minute.

ES

Dances With Crows

Please don't top-post. Message rearranged to comply with Usenet
conventions.
Dances said:
I'm looking for a reasonably priced scanner that can output 1-bit
TIFFs at 1000 or 1200 DPI. [...] I'll have to scan 1000-2000 6x9"
pages of paper per week with this machine, so an automatic document
feeder would be really nice. Trouble is, almost every high-volume
scanner I've seen on pricewatch tops out at 800 DPI. The scanning
I don't have any suggestions for you but am curious to know why you
need 1000 dpi 1-bit images.

We're doing facsimile reproduction of books. Customer gives us one
book, we cut it up and scan it. The scanned pages get cleaned up,
imposed, and printed onto a printing plate. Customer uses this printing
plate on a press to make several thousand copies of the original book.

The customer we're supposed to be doing this work for thinks 800 DPI
isn't enough, and that it'll make the final output look grainy. If this
were for archiving personal documents, I'd use 300 or 150 DPI and
wouldn't need advice from this newsgroup.
I would like to find a flatbed scanner that will scan 300-600 1-bit
letter-size as fast as I can flip pages of a book.

Fast. Cheap. Good. Pick 1, maybe 2 if you're lucky.
My guess is that in maybe 5 years there will be a $500 digital camera
that can replace my 4c and do 10 1-bit pics a minute.

There are some physical constraints here; the scan head would have to
move awfully fast and/or the CCD would have to be larger than normal.
Also, moving pages of paper quickly introduces its own problems--what if
the feeding mechanism jams? Your originals may get folded, spindled,
and mutilated then.

RSD99

Re: "...
Please don't top-post. Message rearranged to comply with Usenet
conventions.
...."

What are you ... some kind of CONTROL FREAK or something?

Get A Life!