Looking for a better way to compress images.

gregory_may

I am looking for a better way to compress screen shot data.

Currently this line of code:
MyBitMapImage.Save(MyMemoryStream, System.Drawing.Imaging.ImageFormat.Jpeg)

Takes between 70-90 Milliseconds, If I use ImageFormat.PNG, it takes between
50-350 Milliseconds!!!

Can anyone recommend a faster way to compress a .Net BitMap? I have seen
several libraries here:

http://datacompression.info/SourceCode.shtml

Also, I have seen that Intel has the IPP here (but this looks cool, but like
a steep learning curve):

http://www.intel.com/software/products/ipp/
Before I dive into the depths of a new library, I was wondering if anyone
has a recommendation?

Ken Tucker [MVP]

Hi,

http://www.vb-helper.com/howto_net_save_form_image.html

Ken
-----------------
"gregory_may" <None> wrote in message
I am looking for a better way to compress screen shot data.

Currently this line of code:
MyBitMapImage.Save(MyMemoryStream, System.Drawing.Imaging.ImageFormat.Jpeg)

Takes between 70-90 Milliseconds, If I use ImageFormat.PNG, it takes between
50-350 Milliseconds!!!

Can anyone recommend a faster way to compress a .Net BitMap? I have seen
several libraries here:

http://datacompression.info/SourceCode.shtml

Also, I have seen that Intel has the IPP here (but this looks cool, but like
a steep learning curve):

http://www.intel.com/software/products/ipp/
Before I dive into the depths of a new library, I was wondering if anyone
has a recommendation?

gregory_may

Thanks Ken.

This URL is using the same method to save as I am currently using
(bitmap.Save). I don't believe this will improve my performance at all ...
its basically the same code.

If you run across anything else, please post here.

Thanks!