Looking for a 13A plug-in Digital Timer to switch on at dusk . . .

Reaction score
I've spent some time searching for 13A digital timer that can switch on a security light at dusk each day (or say 30 minutes before dusk to allow for varying light conditions) and switch off at the same time each day (say 11:30 pm). My searches haven't yielded a result except one replacement switch plate timer that has these functions but not usable in the desired location.

Has anyone knowledge or experience with digital timers that could lead to a practical solution for me please?

Malcolm

Reaction score
Thank for your response - very much appreciated but maybe my OP isn't making the point well enough.
I need a timer that has the ON time programmed relative to dusk. As it goes dark so the security light comes on. That is the ON time varies day by day getting later after the shortest day and earlier after the longest day. To have to programme that manually would rather a tedious process I think!
Most if not all the timers in your search (thank you most kindly) have to be programmed manually for both ON and OFF and do not meet my requirement.

Reaction score
The functionality I am looking for but in a 13A plug-in timer is seen at:
https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/timeguard-7-day-digital-security-light-switch-l47at
Product details Timeguard 7 Day Digital Security Light Switch • Suitable for both low-energy and standard bulbs• Can replace on/off and 2-way light switches• Up to 42 on/off programmes per week• Built-in photocell can be used to turn lights on at dusk and off at a programmed time• Random switching function for added security• Flip down front panel to hide away the control panel• Built-in back up battery in case of power failure• 3 year manufacturer’s guarantee• For indoor use only.
I asked Maplin but they replied they are unable to meet my requirement.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
are you looking for a photocell activated plug?

search for "photocell activated" and you'll find loads, you could even make your own. ;)

:user:

Reaction score
From a ten-year old thread on the IET Website:
`for this you need two control equipments. Photocell with time clock overrride'
Therefore the photocell has to override the timer for the security light to come ON. And the timer has to override the the photocell for the light to be OFF. I would need explicit instructions to enable me to connect the two devices!

My search on `photocell activated plug-n digital timers didn't discover anything as a unit that appeared directly appropriate to the specific sort of 13A digital device I would like to have. The search showed there are plenty of random lighting, non-programmable, plug-ins for home security and mechanical timers but photocell activated plug-in timers - other than dusk to dawn - none! My lack of electrical knowledge and experience is causing me much grief!

In the thread mentioned above the requirement outlined is identical to mine. If someone with relevant skill and experience would be kind enough to peruse the thread it might lead to a solution or guidance to assist me. The URL is:
http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=19296

Reaction score
I use a Belkin Wemo Insight switch to control my outside lights:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Insight-Sw...371&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=belkin+demo+insight

You can programme it to come on via the iPhone/Android app, for a set amount of time, at dusk or an number of minutes before/after - obviously the exact time changes automatically every day.

You can also link it to IFTTT for additional integration with other internet enabled devices.

Looks like this is what you are after?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Insight-Sw...371&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=belkin+demo+insight

You can programme it to come on via the iPhone/Android app, for a set amount of time, at dusk or an number of minutes before/after - obviously the exact time changes automatically every day.

You can also link it to IFTTT for additional integration with other internet enabled devices.

Looks like this is what you are after?
Really good idea Chris :thumb:

Reaction score
Apologies for my tardy response but nevertheless a sincere thank you Chris for acquainting me with a integrated solution for my requirement; it seems ideal.
However in reading the product reviews it is apparent that as a solution there maybe drawbacks such as a failure of the settings, after two or three months use, is mentioned. Have you experienced anything similar? It maybe that for a simple setup a settings failure is unlikely and that the reviews are about more complex setups.
Also for my intended use, to control one low wattage lamp, the price at almost £40 is somewhat expensive! :(

Malcolm

Reaction score
Apologies for my tardy response but nevertheless a sincere thank you Chris for acquainting me with a integrated solution for my requirement; it seems ideal.
However in reading the product reviews it is apparent that as a solution there maybe drawbacks such as a failure of the settings, after two or three months use, is mentioned. Have you experienced anything similar? It maybe that for a simple setup a settings failure is unlikely and that the reviews are about more complex setups.
Also for my intended use, to control one low wattage lamp, the price at almost £40 is somewhat expensive! :(

Malcolm

No problem. I've only had mine set up to come on 1hr after sunset for the past week, but it's been pretty reliable so far. Before that I had it hooked up to IFTTT so that if motion was picked up on my Netgear Arlo cameras then it would trigger the switch.

One observation is that the WiFi antenna in the plug isn't great so make sure its in a place where it will pick up a good WiFi signal.

the insight switch gives you loads of usage information about cost, duration etc - I think they also do a standard WiFi switch - which may be cheaper than £40?

Ask a Question