Long delays opening "standard" windows

Qu0ll

Vista Ultimate x64.

For some reason, when I first boot the system, "standard"-type windows such
as Explorer, Network & Printers open quickly as expected. But after an
indeterminate period of time they start opening very slowly sometimes taking
4 minutes or more to fully display all items. This means that any
application that saves/opens a file takes a very long time to open the file
chooser window.

As I said, it only happens after the system has been up for a while. Any
ideas what could be causing this and how to resolve it? I am so close to
having a fully working Vista system.

--
And loving it,

-Q
(e-mail address removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

KristleBawl

Have you ruled out faulty RAM or cooling fan? Just asking, because it's easy
to overlook a simple hardware solution to what looks like a complex software
problem. <g>

KB

"Qu0ll" wrote in message news:%[email protected]...

Qu0ll

Have you ruled out faulty RAM or cooling fan? Just asking, because it's
easy to overlook a simple hardware solution to what looks like a complex
software problem. <g>

Thanks KB.

I agree but I have run a memory diagnostic and the system certainly isn't
overheating. Also, in all other respects the system is functioning
perfectly. It just seems to have a problem when it needs to lookup the
drives and shares after the machine has been up for a while. It's very
annoying and very counter-productive.

Any ideas?

--
And loving it,

-Q
(e-mail address removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

Qu0ll

How about indexing? ive noticed that when opening things like documents
and network after a while takes a while to display All the items becuase
of the searching feature..

Hmm, I don't know about that. There are only 7 devices on the LAN and it
takes ages to load Network. There are only a few disk drives and yet it
takes ages to open a root-level Explorer window. There are only 3 printers
yet it takes ages to open up Printers. It must be something else I suspect.

--
And loving it,

-Q
(e-mail address removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

Qu0ll

Some further info:

1. When each folder opens, it seems to know how many items are in it and
actually displays them initially as whitish document icons which are then
replaced with the proper icons (such as a computer for Network items) when
the pause is over. This would suggest that it's not the contents of the
folder per se that is the cause of the problem but rather something to do
with one of the standard items that appears in each folder.

2. I have tried removing all mapped network drives to no avail.

3. Computer seems to be the item that is in each folder so it could be the
culprit. When I open Computer in its own it takes ages and then displays
the computer's configuration. If I go through each item and click on it,
everything displays quickly and as expected.

4. If I open the Control Panel on its own it opens quickly.

It is VERY important that I resolve this issue because I am about to save
all disk images and then move them to larger capacity drives. I don't want
to do this if there is still a major problem with the system. As I have
stated, other than this everything is working fine so I am very keen to
resolve it ASAP otherwise I will have to do a clean install on the new
drives.

--
And loving it,

-Q
(e-mail address removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

Qu0ll

More info:

1. Almost all windows are affected, even the Recycle Bin.

2. When the problem happens and I go into Windows Explorer, all folders and
their items behave correctly except for one: the user's profile folder. I
tried to delete an empty folder in this folder and it took over a minute to
bring up the confirmation message and then 3 minutes to actual delete the
folder.

3. Based on (2), I moved all folders in the profile that lived on the D:
drive back to the C: drive. Now the entire profile lives on the C: drive.
This didn't help.

So me thinks it must be some kind of profile corruption but I cannot just
blow away the profile and start again as I just have far too many
application settings that I want to preserve. Is there a way to repair/fix
the profile corruption without losing all the settings?

--
And loving it,

-Q
(e-mail address removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

Qu0ll

Anyone? My machine is practically unusable now.

--
And loving it,

-Q
(e-mail address removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

Qu0ll

I have made major progress with this problem.

I waited till the problem occurred and then I went into Task Manager and
killed each process in turn and then opened Explorer. To my surprise I
killed all processes that I had permission to kill and the problem didn't go
away. So then I tackled the processes and to my delight as soon as I
stopped the DHCP client the problem went away. I restarted it and it came
back. Stopped it and it went away again. It's definitely related to the
DHCP client.

Unfortunately this is not a solution to the problem as if I kill the DHCP
client I lose my networking but at least we know what's causing the problem
or at least in what area it is.

Now, why does the DHCP client intefere with Windows Explorer and why after
30 mins? Perhaps it has something to do with the Network "node" in Explorer
because it is in every Explorer view and perhaps the DHCP client does
something to the network after 30 mins which then affects the ability to
display or access the Network "node".

Any ideas?

--
And loving it,

-Q
(e-mail address removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

Qu0ll

Solved. For some reason my NIC's IPv4 settings had been changed and were
invalid. I returned them to their correct settings and everything opens up
quickly now. I knew it was network related!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

--
And loving it,

-Q
(e-mail address removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

fquednau

Aww, bummer...tried the DHCP thing but to no avail...I am having those
delays as well, albeit not in the region of minutes, more like 5-15
secs, but still immensely annoying, since opening files / Explorer is
something you usually do a lot. I shall keep looking.

Regards
Frank

Qu0ll

Ive found IPv6 is a pain in the ass and causes many problems, never
would have suspected IPv4.. Good one:)

I haven't figured out though just why the IPv4 settings were corrupted as I
certainly never touch them.