Lock cells but allow data entry ONLY!

G

Hi -

Can I protect my Excel spreadsheet to allow data entry and nothing else (i.e. formatting, changing column widths, changing formulas, etc.

Thanks

Melissa

L

Lukin

* Highlight all the cell(s) you want to be able to enter data into.
* Right-click and choose *Format Cells.*
* On the *Protection* tab take the tick out of the *Locked* box.

* Highlight all the cells which contain the formulas you want to remai
unchanged.
* Right-click and choose *Format Cells.*
* On the *Protection* tab make sure there is a tick in the *Locked
box.

* Go to * Tools > Protection > Protect Sheet*
* Tick *Select Unlocked Cells* (untick everything else) and click O

C

Charlie

Melissa,

Choose the cells that require data input by holding down
the control and selecting the required cells. Then on the
main toolbar choose Format/Cells/Protection and uncheck
Locked. Now protect the worksheet. While the worksheet
is protected it should not allow any formatting.

Charlie O'Neill
-----Original Message-----
Hi -

Can I protect my Excel spreadsheet to allow data entry
and nothing else (i.e. formatting, changing column widths,
changing formulas, etc.)

G

Hi Rawley -

I am running Excel 2000. The only trouble is that I want ALL cells in the spreadsheet allowed to be changed for data entry, but not formatting, changing formulas. So there's not a certain range that I can select to protect

Can I do this

Meliss

----- rawley wrote: ----

Hi Melissa

Yes, you can. I don't know what version of Excel you're running, but what you have to do is have ONLY the cells you want to be able to enter data for unlocked. Then, when you go to protect the worksheet, you should be able to check what you want specifically protected (data entry, but no formatting). Good luck

Rawle
----- Melissa wrote: ----

Hi -

Can I protect my Excel spreadsheet to allow data entry and nothing else (i.e. formatting, changing column widths, changing formulas, etc.

Thanks

Melissa

G

Hi,

OK...Click the top left corner cell (between 1 and A). This will highlight EVERYTHING (alternately, you can just highlight all cells being used, whichever is easier). Right-click and go to Format Cells, Protection, and uncheck the Locked box. Then, go to Tools, Protection, Protect Sheet. From here, you should have an option of using a password to unprotect the sheet. You should also have a list of check boxes that specify what a person can do to an Unlocked cell. You can specify that they can only Select an Unlocked Cell. This will let them do data entry, but nothing else. Now, fair warning, by unlocking everything, they'll be able to edit or erase your formulas. Again, the safe thing is to only unlock the cells where people will be doing data entry. Good luck!

Rawley

G

Hi Melissa,

You can do this to an extent. You can select all cells in the worksheet, then right-click and go to Format Cells, Protection, and uncheck the Locked checkbox. Then, go to Tools, Protection, Protect Sheet. At this point, you should be able to select if you want to require a password to unprotect the sheet. Also, you should have a list of checkboxes to specify user rights. As long as Select Unlocked Cells is the only thing checked, users will be able to enter data or delete data only. They will not be able to do any formatting. Unfortunately, if all cells are changed to unprotected, they will be able to edit or delete any formulas. You may want to keep this specific cells Locked before protecting the sheet so that they cannot be changed. Good luck!

Rawley

Ask a Question