listing the graphic files

Larry Smith

Hi,
I don't know whether this kind of program exists but it seems the
readers of this group know just about everything so... here goes.

I maintain a few webpages and don't care to clutter cyberspace with
gif and jpg files that my webpages no longer are calling for.

Is there a program that would take my webpages, perhaps in text form,
and create a list of those files that are *.jpg or *.gif which I
could then compare to what I've FTP'd up?

Then I could delete those that are not being used any more.

TIA

--
Larry Smith

"In this country anyone can grow up to be President.
That's the risk you take."
Adlai Stevenson

jb

Larry said:
Hi,
I don't know whether this kind of program exists but it seems the
readers of this group know just about everything so... here goes.

I maintain a few webpages and don't care to clutter cyberspace with
gif and jpg files that my webpages no longer are calling for.

Is there a program that would take my webpages, perhaps in text form,
and create a list of those files that are *.jpg or *.gif which I
could then compare to what I've FTP'd up?

Then I could delete those that are not being used any more.

TIA

The way to go is to have the whole site on a local disk and the server
as a mirror.

There are plenty of good ftp synchronizers.

John Fitzsimons

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 16:34:26 GMT, Larry Smith

I maintain a few webpages and don't care to clutter cyberspace with
gif and jpg files that my webpages no longer are calling for.
Is there a program that would take my webpages, perhaps in text form,
and create a list of those files that are *.jpg or *.gif which I
could then compare to what I've FTP'd up?
Then I could delete those that are not being used any more.

Why not do a list of the "active" graphics files that you have on your
site ? Consider starting here ;

http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html

Then take that list away from the list of all the graphics files on
your site to find the orphans.

Regards, John.

,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
/ Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
\_,--.x/ http://www.vicnet.net.au/~johnf/welcome.htm
v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/

Susan Bugher

Larry said:
Hi,
I don't know whether this kind of program exists but it seems the
readers of this group know just about everything so... here goes.

I maintain a few webpages and don't care to clutter cyberspace with
gif and jpg files that my webpages no longer are calling for.

Is there a program that would take my webpages, perhaps in text form,
and create a list of those files that are *.jpg or *.gif which I
could then compare to what I've FTP'd up?

Then I could delete those that are not being used any more.

Here are a couple of programs that *might* work - depending on you OS
etc. etc. . . . They were discussed in a thread titled "Website file
checker" about a month ago.

Program: Arachnophilia
Author: Paul Lutus
Ware: (Requestware) (free) unsupported
http://www.arachnoid.com/

Program: Clean Up Process (CleanUpProperties) (v 0.00.0019)
Author: Lazar Kaufman
W: LFW
Ware: (Freeware) (v 0.00.0019)
http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/index.html