Linux - Which Version?

Reaction score
Looking to learn Linux but where do i start?
Get a linux magazine and run a live disc, Install on to a usb flash drive or to an external harddrive?
Any help, advice or guideance would be most welcome.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I use Linux Mint, Ubuntu If you download the live iso there is no need to install it to anything, just burn the ISO to disk and run it from the disk.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Another suggestion to try Mint. If your PC boots from a memory stick then you could try lots of different 'Live' Distros by booting from a USB port.

This is a good site, lists the most popular distros: Distrowatch (The list is on the right hand side a little way down).

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=68683#entry403151

You could try out several different linux flavours very easily with the Easy2Boot stuff. Doing so would give you hands on choice simply.
breakfast.gif

Reaction score
I recommend getting a Ubuntu distro because of the massive support and excellent community. More specifically I suggest newbies using Kubuntu which is the KDE official spin of Ubuntu. Unity really is not ready for main stream and has quite a few bugs.

Reaction score
With Linux one may have a problem with absence of a driver. So I prefer to use popular hardware brands like Asus, HP.

Reaction score
Have a look in the Linux Shop they are doing a special deal where you get a bundle of Linux distro's Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon LTS, Mint, Open Suse, Ubuntu, Simply Mephis and PCLinux OS. If you download a Vertial Machine you can try them and then decide which one you like. The VM software is Oracle VM Vertial Box and it is a free download.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
About a week ago I tried installing latest version of Suse and also latest version of PC Linux OS but had no luck with either. Both threw up error messages and wouldn't progress past a certain stage in their installs.

This was booting from DVD's checked with md5 sums and with a hard disk all to themselves (500Gb).

I've formatted the HDD (in Windows Disk manager, oddly enough) and I'm going to have another try at some stage.

One tip: Don't pay for a Linux distro, package or no, just download the ISO and burn it to disk, a CD or DVD blank costs about 10p.

Ask a Question