Links won't work outside of IE

G

I don't know how I did this, but after some recent tweaking and registry cleaning I cannot get to a page in IE by clicking on a link in any other program. Double clicking a ULR on my desktop, for example, or in an Outlook Express message, will simply open a blank instance of IE6; it won't take me to the particular page asked for. To get to a specific page, I have to type or copy the ULR into the address bar. This is a major inconvenience, especially when the link is in an email where I cannot find the URL represented by the link

Nothing I've tried to remedy the situation (untweaking, etc.) has resolved this problem. Can anyone help?

D

dev

/Plato56/ said:
I don't know how I did this, but after some recent tweaking and
registry cleaning I cannot get to a page in IE by clicking on a link in
any other program. Double clicking a ULR on my desktop, for example,
or in an Outlook Express message, will simply open a blank instance of
IE6; it won't take me to the particular page asked for. To get to a
specific page, I have to type or copy the ULR into the address bar.
This is a major inconvenience, especially when the link is in an email
where I cannot find the URL represented by the link.

Nothing I've tried to remedy the situation (untweaking, etc.) has
resolved this problem. Can anyone help?

Open Windows Explorer, click on TOOLS menu|FOLDER OPTIONS|FILE TYPES tab
and scroll down to URL Protocol: Hyptertext Transfer Protocol.

Click ADVANCED, then the Open action, then EDIT. In the Application to
Use box see if it shows this...

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -url "%1"

If not, write down what's there, then test the above line in its place.

In the DDE Message box, write down what's there, then paste this...

"%1",,-1,0,,,,

G

I also couldn't use links in my email , but it's because my pop up blocker needed to be turned off. It doesn't need to be on until after I've made the connection so I turned it off before I closed IE. Problem solved w/Google toolbar.

G

Dev-

Sorry for the delay in reporting back. The experimenting took some time and then Windows ate my original response when I hit the send button. After resurrecting the message this morning, I found it impossible to submit it to this forum on my laptop, which is the machine that has the troubled WinXP on it. Several tries reported that the service was unavailable. But that's another problem. I'll try again from the desktop (W982nd), from which another forum message was just successfully sent. If you see this, you'll know I was successful on that machine

I tried to follow your instructions exactly, but I find no "URL Protocol:..." entry within the list of file types available. I do find an entry "URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol," and an almost identically-named file that has "with Privacy" tacked on to the end. I guessed that your instructions were intended to apply to the former of those two and proceded on that basis

The language in the application to use box was
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohom

I replaced "nohome" with "-url "%" " as per your suggestion

The DDE message box was empty, and I copy/pasted your suggested language

After saving the changes and rebooting, I found only a slight change in the manifestation of the original problem. Now when I click a link on my desktop, the File Download dialogue box opens (!) asking whether I want to open or save the url I just clicked. Cancelling that offer brings up an IE "No page to display" message. Clicking a link in an email opens a blank instance of IE if that program was closed, or returns me to an open IE page if the program is running. This is hardly an improvement...

It may be worth noting that when I hit the "FileTypes" tab in the Tools/Folder Options menu the flashlight icon displays for a few seconds before the list is displayed. Don't know if this is significant or relevant to the present undertaking

I will welcome any further suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to answer my first post.

Ask a Question