link to files in this folder

I have 12 monthly folders each containing 4 sheets & a summary sheet, is
there anyway I can set up the links in my summary sheet, to look at the files
in this folder?
I just tried it with two files.
Both open shows just the file name,
Close the linked to file and I get the full path,
So I thought I'd try the old DOS . to mean this directory, but all Excel did
was put the full path back in.
I was hoping to have a 'template' folder which I can just copy and rename
each month without going in to the summary and re-pointing all the links.

Jim Cone

Not quite sure what the issue is.
Does "folders" mean workbooks or folders on a drive?
Does "look at the files" mean open the files?

Possibly the free Excel add-in "List Files" could do what you want.
It lists specified types of files from a selected folder/subfolders on an
Excel sheet with hyperlinks to each file. Clicking the link opens the file.
Download from... http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware
No registration required.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Graham Y"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
I have 12 monthly folders each containing 4 sheets & a summary sheet, is
there anyway I can set up the links in my summary sheet, to look at the files
in this folder?
I just tried it with two files.
Both open shows just the file name,
Close the linked to file and I get the full path,
So I thought I'd try the old DOS . to mean this directory, but all Excel did
was put the full path back in.
I was hoping to have a 'template' folder which I can just copy and rename
each month without going in to the summary and re-pointing all the links.

Sorry
By Folder I mean Directory, the sheets are in separate xls files, so we have
folder '0704 Apr' with files at.xls, cj.xls, mh.xls, mt.xls and summary.xls
with loads of links to those four files. Excel seems to insist on the full
path to the file.
Whereas what I want is to copy a set of master files to '0705 May' and '0706
Jun' etc, and have the Summary file look at the files in its directory
without having to go into it and repoint the links.
Is there anyway I can do this?
Or do I have to Edit Links Change Source each month?

Jim Cone

There is no automatic way to do it that I know of.
However, If you use hyperlink formulas instead of inserting hyperlinks, then
you could change all the folder references by changing one cell.

For instance, if cell B3 contained the folder path:
C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\Excel Files\0704 Apr\

And the hyperlink formulas were constructed like this:
=HYPERLINK(B3 & "at.xls","at.xls")

Then just changing "0704 Apr" to "0705 May" in cell B3 would update all the hyperlinks.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA