Laptop Logoff Painfully Slow when a Kerberos Realm user is logged on

Simon Collier

A laptop logoff is painfully slow when a Kerberos Realm user is logged on.
When we setup Windows on a brand new Dell D420 and use an MIT Kerberos Realm
to logon, it takes about 10 minutes to log off later (sits on the "logging
off" window). When we do not have the laptop setup for Kerberos, then it
logs on and off very quickly.

a. We have removed all group policies.
b. We have tried the laptop in different OU's with different policies
enabled.
c. We have tried using our "standard" image for a D640 (with different
drivers installed).
d. We have tried a clean install of Windows from the Dell CD.

If we logon as a local domain or local machine user, it works fine. If we
setup Kerberos and logon as a MIT Kerberos Realm user, it logs on fine but
when it's time to log off it takes forever.

We have 150+ machines on our network, all using an MIT Kerberos Realm to
authenticate and only this one new Dell D420 has this problem, and only when
logging onto the domain using Kerberos Relam credentials.

Has anyone seen this before?

Newbie Coder

Simon,

Sitting at that stage may suggest that its having difficulties flushing the
caches... With other user rights the access is fine & therefore the caches
get flushed normally. Maybe its worth looking into

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Simon,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I have performed some research but I cannot find any
similar issues reported. I notice there are some issues about MIT Kerberos
realm user's logon and access in Windows XP. For the related articles are
as below:
325468: Cannot Access Active Directory Shares From MIT Kerberos Realm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325468/en-us

811802: MIT Kerberos v5 Authenticated Users Cannot Access Active Directory
Resources
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811802/en-us

825081: Cannot Use an MIT Kerberos Realm User's Cached Credentials to Log
On to a Windows XP Client
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825081/en-us

836878: Logon failure events are incorrectly recorded for trusted MIT
Kerberos realm users
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836878/en-us

However, I notice these issues have been resolved in Service Pack 2 for
Windows XP. If the client has not applied SP2, I suggest you first install
all updates including SP2 to see if the issue still occurs.

Download the full installation package of Windows XP Service Pack 2
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30
-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en>

Since the package is very large (about 200 -300 Mb), it will take a long
time to finish downloading using a dial-up connection. If this is the case
or there is any difficulty in downloading SP2 from our website, we can
access the following link to order a free SP2 CD to perform the
installation. It will arrive in 4 to 6 weeks since you submit the order.

Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/defa
ult.mspx>

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Simon Collier" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Laptop Logoff Painfully Slow when a Kerberos Realm user is
logged on
| Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 12:58:43 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| A laptop logoff is painfully slow when a Kerberos Realm user is logged
on.
| When we setup Windows on a brand new Dell D420 and use an MIT Kerberos
Realm
| to logon, it takes about 10 minutes to log off later (sits on the
"logging
| off" window). When we do not have the laptop setup for Kerberos, then it
| logs on and off very quickly.
|
| a. We have removed all group policies.
| b. We have tried the laptop in different OU's with different policies
| enabled.
| c. We have tried using our "standard" image for a D640 (with different
| drivers installed).
| d. We have tried a clean install of Windows from the Dell CD.
|
| If we logon as a local domain or local machine user, it works fine. If we
| setup Kerberos and logon as a MIT Kerberos Realm user, it logs on fine
but
| when it's time to log off it takes forever.
|
| We have 150+ machines on our network, all using an MIT Kerberos Realm to
| authenticate and only this one new Dell D420 has this problem, and only
when
| logging onto the domain using Kerberos Relam credentials.
|
| Has anyone seen this before?

Simon Collier

Hi NC:

Thanks for your response. I'm afraid I couldn't find any information on this
with my Googling, unless you mean DNS cache or an IDE disk-cache. Could you
offer some pointers as to where I might find the cache you are refering to,
or information I can read up on?

Thanks!
Simon

Simon Collier

Hi Ken:

Thank you for your reply.

I can confirm that this is a Windows XP SP2 box, with a "clean" installation
of Windows XP SP2 + ksetup (to setup the Kerberos Realm info) + Dell
hardware drivers. I can also confirm that this is the only Dell D420 we have
on our network, and the only machine with this problem.

Therefore, if I were to guess, I would suggest there is a problem with the
combination of "the way Windows deals with Kerberos Realms" and "a driver"
that Dell has provided for this particular hardware.

This of course means I don't really know who to turn to for help.

Do you know what else I can try? Is this something I would need paid support
with?

Thanks!

Simon

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hello Simon,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I have performed some research but I cannot find any
[...]

rights.

--------------------
| From: "Simon Collier" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Laptop Logoff Painfully Slow when a Kerberos Realm user is
logged on
| Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 12:58:43 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| A laptop logoff is painfully slow when a Kerberos Realm user is logged
on.
| When we setup Windows on a brand new Dell D420 and use an MIT Kerberos
Realm
| to logon, it takes about 10 minutes to log off later (sits on the
"logging
| off" window). When we do not have the laptop setup for Kerberos, then it
| logs on and off very quickly.
|
| a. We have removed all group policies.
| b. We have tried the laptop in different OU's with different policies
| enabled.
| c. We have tried using our "standard" image for a D640 (with different
| drivers installed).
| d. We have tried a clean install of Windows from the Dell CD.
|
| If we logon as a local domain or local machine user, it works fine. If
we
| setup Kerberos and logon as a MIT Kerberos Realm user, it logs on fine
but
| when it's time to log off it takes forever.
|
| We have 150+ machines on our network, all using an MIT Kerberos Realm to
| authenticate and only this one new Dell D420 has this problem, and only
when
| logging onto the domain using Kerberos Relam credentials.
|
| Has anyone seen this before?

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply.

Since this issue only occurs on this specific laptop, I suspect this may be
related to certain applications or drivers. Please try to remove all third
party applications or you may boot into Clean Boot mode to monitor the
issue.

To isolate the influence of additional applications, please boot the system
into a Clean Boot environment to see whether this problem continues:

1. Unplug all the unnecessary devices, with only the keyboard and the mouse
left.
2. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.
3. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
4. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
and then click the "Disable All" button.
5. Click OK and restart your computer.

310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

I am not sure if Kerberos Realm user can logon in Safe Mode with Network.
If so, you may test in Safe Mode with Network. Safe Mode loads a minimally
protected-mode configuration, disabling Windows device drivers and using
the standard VGA display adapter.

1. Restart the computer.
2. Keep pressing F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
3. Choose the Safe Mode with Network, and press Enter.

Note: Some third party applications and hardware devices cannot be used
during Safe Mode.

> [...]

| > Since the package is very large (about 200 -300 Mb), it will take a long
| > time to finish downloading using a dial-up connection. If this is the
case
| > or there is any difficulty in downloading SP2 from our website, we can
| > access the following link to order a free SP2 CD to perform the
| > installation. It will arrive in 4 to 6 weeks since you submit the order.
| >
| > Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD

<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/defa
| > ult.mspx>
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so

| > |
| > | A laptop logoff is painfully slow when a Kerberos Realm user is logged
| > on.
| > | When we setup Windows on a brand new Dell D420 and use an MIT Kerberos
| > Realm
| > | to logon, it takes about 10 minutes to log off later (sits on the
| > "logging
| > | off" window). When we do not have the laptop setup for Kerberos, then
it
| > | logs on and off very quickly.
| > |
| > | a. We have removed all group policies.
| > | b. We have tried the laptop in different OU's with different policies
| > | enabled.
| > | c. We have tried using our "standard" image for a D640 (with different
| > | drivers installed).
| > | d. We have tried a clean install of Windows from the Dell CD.
| > |
| > | If we logon as a local domain or local machine user, it works fine.
If
| > we
| > | setup Kerberos and logon as a MIT Kerberos Realm user, it logs on fine
| > but
| > | when it's time to log off it takes forever.
| > |
| > | We have 150+ machines on our network, all using an MIT Kerberos Realm
| > | authenticate and only this one new Dell D420 has this problem, and
only
| > when
| > | logging onto the domain using Kerberos Relam credentials.
| > |
| > | Has anyone seen this before?
| > |
| > |

Simon Collier

Hi Ken:

Thanks for your reply. I don't know why I didn't think of diagnosing with
the msconfig tool, I used to use it all the time. Turns out that was a GREAT
idea - thank you!

The System Event Notification service is the culprit. Disabling this service
fixes the huge logoff delay.

So: A user logged onto a Kerberos Realm using Windows XP SP2 on a Dell D420
experiences a long delay in logging off when the System Event Notification
service is running (which it probably needs to).

What is my next course of action in order to find a resolution?

Thanks!

Simon

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

so
| > ====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Simon Collier" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Laptop Logoff Painfully Slow when a Kerberos Realm user is
| > logged on
| > | Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 12:58:43 -0600
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| > |
| > | A laptop logoff is painfully slow when a Kerberos Realm user is
logged
| > on.
| > | When we setup Windows on a brand new Dell D420 and use an MIT
Kerberos
| > Realm
| > | to logon, it takes about 10 minutes to log off later (sits on the
| > "logging
| > | off" window). When we do not have the laptop setup for Kerberos,
| > |
| > | a. We have removed all group policies.
| > | b. We have tried the laptop in different OU's with different
policies
| > | enabled.
| > | c. We have tried using our "standard" image for a D640 (with
different
| > | drivers installed).
| > | d. We have tried a clean install of Windows from the Dell CD.
| > |
| > | If we logon as a local domain or local machine user, it works fine.
If
| > we
| > | setup Kerberos and logon as a MIT Kerberos Realm user, it logs on
fine
| > but
| > | when it's time to log off it takes forever.
| > |
| > | We have 150+ machines on our network, all using an MIT Kerberos
Realm
| > | authenticate and only this one new Dell D420 has this problem, and
only
| > when
| > | logging onto the domain using Kerberos Relam credentials.
| > |
| > | Has anyone seen this before?
| > |
| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your response and I am glad to hear we have narrowed down the
issue.

Based on my knowledge, System Event Notification service tracks system
events, such as Windows logon, network, and power events. This service
notifies COM+ Event System subscribers of these events. Therefore, I
suspect this issue should be related to network or COM+.

I am not sure if you have installed all recent updates from Windows Update
web site. If not, please apply all recent updates to see if the issue still
occurs.

In addition, please monitor the issue in Safe Mode with Network to see if
it still occurs. I will help us verify if it is related to network.

> [...]

Network.
| > If so, you may test in Safe Mode with Network. Safe Mode loads a
minimally
| > protected-mode configuration, disabling Windows device drivers and using
| > the standard VGA display adapter.
| >
| > 1. Restart the computer.
| > 2. Keep pressing F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
| > 3. Choose the Safe Mode with Network, and press Enter.
| >
| > Note: Some third party applications and hardware devices cannot be used
| > during Safe Mode.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so

| > |
| > | Thank you for your reply.
| > |
| > | I can confirm that this is a Windows XP SP2 box, with a "clean"
| > installation
| > | of Windows XP SP2 + ksetup (to setup the Kerberos Realm info) + Dell
| > | hardware drivers. I can also confirm that this is the only Dell D420
we
| > have
| > | on our network, and the only machine with this problem.
| > |
| > | Therefore, if I were to guess, I would suggest there is a problem with
| > the
| > | combination of "the way Windows deals with Kerberos Realms" and "a
| > driver"
| > | that Dell has provided for this particular hardware.
| > |
| > | This of course means I don't really know who to turn to for help.
| > |
| > | Do you know what else I can try? Is this something I would need paid
| > support
| > | with?
| > |
| > | Thanks!
| > |
| > | Simon
| > |
| > |

| > Kerberos
| > are
Realm

| > Directory

| > Log

MIT

| > for
| > install

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30

| > long
| > case
| > order.

<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/defa

| > so

| > | > |
| > logged
| > Kerberos
| > then
| > it
| > | > |
| > policies
| > different
| > | > |
| > If
| > fine
| > | > |
| > Realm
| > only
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Simon Collier

Hi Ken:

I applied all available updates using Microsoft Update and there was no
change.

When logging into Safe Mode with Networking this problem does not show.
However, the System Event Notification service does not start in Safe Mode,
and cannot be started manually, so I can't test behaviour in Safe Mode with
that service running.

Hope that information helps.

Thanks!

Simon

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

| > If so, you may test in Safe Mode with Network. Safe Mode loads a
minimally
| > protected-mode configuration, disabling Windows device drivers and
using
| > the standard VGA display adapter.
| >
| > 1. Restart the computer.
| > 2. Keep pressing F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
| > 3. Choose the Safe Mode with Network, and press Enter.
| >
| > Note: Some third party applications and hardware devices cannot be
used
| > during Safe Mode.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader

| > |
| > | Thank you for your reply.
| > |
| > | I can confirm that this is a Windows XP SP2 box, with a "clean"
| > installation
| > | of Windows XP SP2 + ksetup (to setup the Kerberos Realm info) + Dell
| > | hardware drivers. I can also confirm that this is the only Dell D420
we
| > have
| > | on our network, and the only machine with this problem.
| > |
| > | Therefore, if I were to guess, I would suggest there is a problem
with
| > the
| > | combination of "the way Windows deals with Kerberos Realms" and "a
| > driver"
| > | that Dell has provided for this particular hardware.
| > |
| > | This of course means I don't really know who to turn to for help.
| > |
| > | Do you know what else I can try? Is this something I would need paid
| > support
| > | with?
| > |
| > | Thanks!
| > |
| > | Simon
| > |
| > |

| > Kerberos
| > are
Realm

| > Directory

| > Log

MIT

| > for
| > install

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30

| > long
| > case
| > order.

<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/defa

| > so

| > | > |
| > logged
| > Kerberos
| > then
| > it
| > | > |
| > policies
| > different
| > | > |
| > If
| > fine
| > | > |
| > Realm
| > only
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Simon Collier

Well, this is fun.

After many, MANY hours of troubleshooting, 2 support calls to Dell and one
call to Microsoft support, I have a work around for point 1 ("Laptop Logoff
Painfully Slow with a Kerberos Realm user is logged on").

The Dell Wireless Manager appears to be the problem. On a Dell D420 running
Windows XP SP2, if the Dell Wireless service is running AND the Microsoft
System Event Notification service is running, then logoff takes 10-15
minutes when connected to a Kerberos Realm. (Disable either service and it
works fine.)

The fix: Disable the Dell Wireless service, and use the Windows Wireless
Zero Configuration service instead.

That's it. Simple. (Avoid the problem instead of resolving it.)

Simon

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

| > If so, you may test in Safe Mode with Network. Safe Mode loads a
minimally
| > protected-mode configuration, disabling Windows device drivers and
using
| > the standard VGA display adapter.
| >
| > 1. Restart the computer.
| > 2. Keep pressing F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
| > 3. Choose the Safe Mode with Network, and press Enter.
| >
| > Note: Some third party applications and hardware devices cannot be
used
| > during Safe Mode.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader

| > |
| > | Thank you for your reply.
| > |
| > | I can confirm that this is a Windows XP SP2 box, with a "clean"
| > installation
| > | of Windows XP SP2 + ksetup (to setup the Kerberos Realm info) +
Dell
| > | hardware drivers. I can also confirm that this is the only Dell
D420
we
| > have
| > | on our network, and the only machine with this problem.
| > |
| > | Therefore, if I were to guess, I would suggest there is a problem
with
| > the
| > | combination of "the way Windows deals with Kerberos Realms" and "a
| > driver"
| > | that Dell has provided for this particular hardware.
| > |
| > | This of course means I don't really know who to turn to for help.
| > |
| > | Do you know what else I can try? Is this something I would need
paid
| > support
| > | with?
| > |
| > | Thanks!
| > |
| > | Simon
| > |
| > |

| > Kerberos
| > are
Realm

| > Directory

Credentials
| > Log

MIT

| > for
| > install

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30

| > long
| > case
we
can
| > order.

<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/defa

| > so

user
is
| > | > |
| > logged
| > Kerberos
Kerberos,
| > then
| > it
| > | > |
| > policies
| > different
| > | > |
| > If
| > fine
| > | > |
| > Realm
| > only
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Simon,

Glad to hear that the issue has been resolved by disabling the Dell
Wireless service. Also thanks for your information sharing here and I
believe this information will benefit other customers who will encounter
this similar issue.

> [...]

| >> still
| >> occurs.
| >>
| >> In addition, please monitor the issue in Safe Mode with Network to see
if
| >> it still occurs. I will help us verify if it is related to network.
| >>
| >> Thanks & Regards,
| >>
| >> Ken Zhao
| >>
| >> Microsoft Online Support
| >> Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| >>
| >> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| >> <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| >> ====================================================
| >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| >> ====================================================
| >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

| >> |
| >> service
| >> |
Dell