KVM

Hi All,

We have a KVM switch which is used between 2 totally different domains.
There are NO trusts set up between the domains.

My question is through a KVM switch is there any way a user would be able to
"cut and paste" between the 2 systems?

Simply answered - No.

A KVM is a physical object and bears no relation (and in fact has no
knowledge) of what it i sconnected to.

R. McCarty

Not likely, a KVM is just a switching mechanism between peripherals.
It's not a physical junction/link connecting two separate computers.

smlunatick

Hi All,

We have a KVM switch which is used between 2 totally different domains.
There are NO trusts set up between the domains.

My question is through a KVM switch is there any way a user would be able to
"cut and paste" between the 2 systems?

Keyboard, Video, Mouse (KVM) switches are "hardware" devices. They do
a "move" of the "components" just like if you were to phyiscally
disconnect the keboar, mouse, monitor(video) from one PC and connect
these to the other.

NO!

Thanks very much for your replies.

I guessed this was the case....once again Thank you all.

Eric

Peter F said:
Hi All,

We have a KVM switch which is used between 2 totally different domains.
There are NO trusts set up between the domains.

My question is through a KVM switch is there any way a user would be able
"cut and paste" between the 2 systems?

As other have already said, you need not worry because KVM is simply
hardware routing.

At the same time, I have a KVM switch for my computers and I WANT to be able
to copy/paste between computers using a mouse just for convienence. The
various different computers are running different OS's (Win, Linux, FreeBSD)
so what I'm after needs to be done completetly at the hardware level (no
drivers).

The way I envision it would work is a mouse that has a hardware buffer to
store and release text from inside the mouse itself.

Been looking for such an animal, but unsuccessfully. There are mice out
there that do macos, but they work by drivers...

Eric

"Eric" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
As other have already said, you need not worry because KVM is simply
hardware routing.

At the same time, I have a KVM switch for my computers and I WANT to be
able to copy/paste between computers using a mouse just for convienence.
The various different computers are running different OS's (Win, Linux,
FreeBSD) so what I'm after needs to be done completetly at the hardware
level (no drivers).

The way I envision it would work is a mouse that has a hardware buffer to
store and release text from inside the mouse itself.

Been looking for such an animal, but unsuccessfully. There are mice out
there that do macos, but they work by drivers...

Thinking about this --- actually, it would have to be the keyboard that does
the storing/releasing as mice just send X/Y values.

....but there is no reason why such a keyboard couldn't store/release based
on mouse gestures. (Done completetly in hardware.)

DanS

As other have already said, you need not worry because KVM is simply
hardware routing.

At the same time, I have a KVM switch for my computers and I WANT to
be able to copy/paste between computers using a mouse just for
convienence. The various different computers are running different
OS's (Win, Linux, FreeBSD) so what I'm after needs to be done
completetly at the hardware level (no drivers).

The way I envision it would work is a mouse that has a hardware buffer
to store and release text from inside the mouse itself.

Been looking for such an animal, but unsuccessfully. There are mice
out there that do macos, but they work by drivers...

Too bad you are trying to KVM to/fro different OS's.

Stardock makes a product called 'Multiplicity', which is exactly like a
software KVM switch, with cut & paste functionality.

Sounds like this could be the beginings of a multi million dollar invention.
I would like to use such a device my self.

Bob I

Sounds like a USB thumbdrive to me.

Clay-ISC said:
Sounds like this could be the beginings of a multi million dollar invention.
I would like to use such a device my self.

:

DanS

Sounds like this could be the beginings of a multi million dollar
invention. I would like to use such a device my self.

Uh-oh...I mis-spoke.

It a software KM(no V) switch. (And I knew that too.)

If V was in there, it's would just be a Remote Desktop/VNC/PCA thing.

It's more like when you have multiple monitors connected, and move the
mouse across to the other screen. But instead of just crossing to the
other screen on PC1, the other screen is actually PC2, which you are then
in full control of.

Sorry.

Eric

DanS said:
Stardock makes a product called 'Multiplicity', which is exactly like a
software KVM switch, with cut & paste functionality.

Hi,

Yeah, I eyeballed Multiplicity before while searching for my animal. :)

What I've been doing to "copy/paste" across multiple OS's using KVM is just
to dump/retrieve from a text file on a samba share..

Sure, it works, but hardware buffers would be much more transparant and
simple..

Suprised that such an animal doesn't exist. I bet if it did, there would be
a lot of interest...