From: "igbagel" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Subject: knowledge base for a help desk environment
Date: 3 Jul 2006 12:51:48 -0700

the help desk i'm part of consists of around 15 people who support
around 250 people (primarily windows environment, can provide more
environment info if needed). i think a knowledge base that could be
used by helpdeskers and the people we support would be very helpful.
i'm looking for something opensource or very cheap. we have a server
that could be used to host the application. any and all suggestions on
product, implementation, and anything else related is greatly
appreciated. thanks.

We have 5 people supporting 225, and we use a an implementation of VQwiki
for end user knowledgebase and a separate install of the same product for
internal knowledgebase and documentation site.

Our criteria for selection were:
Must be cross platform. Must be available to field staff at the user's
computer. Easy to understand and use with no special training. Full text
search capabilities.

We chose VQwiki over MediaWiki (too complex) Twiki (too hard to understand)
PMwiki (too much admin needed).

If you have further questions about implementation, you can contact me on
the "Contact" link at my site.

John H.

www.jhoodsoft.org