lisztfr said:

KGB Archiver:

project page:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kgbarchiver/
home page:
http://kgbarchiver.sourceforge.net/
download page:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=162546
Seems that this tool was not notified in this ng. Did anyone try it ?

not I. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

lisztfr

Was it listed here ? i did a search and fund nothing...

But it seems not good, too slow, and i dislike it specially
because these guys fund it necessary to write their kgb for XP,
2000 and not for WIN 98/ME. This system requirement, for
an archiver is not acceptable.

As said here (sorry, french):

http://www.open-files.com/article0317.html

-takes ages (45Mb compressed in 1H30 h) to compress,

-the test comparaison with 7zip is FALSE because they took
a bigger file (48>32)

imho, they have a lot work left.

laurent h

Ivan Tisljar

Seems that this tool was not notified in this ng. Did anyone try it ?

I did. Awfuly slow in it's almost best compression, and comparable
with 7zip and sqx archives. When set at best compression, I decided I
won't wait 2 days to pack gigabyte of data.

It has potential, but in a 5 years, when hardware requirements and
actual hardware will meet each other.

Ivan.

Susan Bugher

lisztfr said:
Was it listed here ? i did a search and fund nothing...

dunno - I just went to the link you posted and backtracked to their home
page on Source Forge.
But it seems not good, too slow, and i dislike it specially
because these guys fund it necessary to write their kgb for XP,
2000 and not for WIN 98/ME. This system requirement, for
an archiver is not acceptable.
imho, they have a lot work left.

FWIW - they are releasing new versions pretty frequently. The change
logs are here:
http://kgbarchiver.sourceforge.net/en/download.php

Susan
--