Keep profile, join 2K AD

Curtis Vaughan

This is a strange situation, which has never happened before.
My CEOs XP laptop was joined to our W2K domain months ago. Haven't been
any problems. But then just the other day I noticed that his computer
had actually never been added to the domain. So, I not even really sure
how he has been a part of the domain this whole time.
Anyhow.
The other day I used the wizard for joining a network domain on his
computer (through Control Panel > System). After joining his computer
and rebooting, he had an entirely new local profile.

I am sure there is some way to do this so that after rebooting he can
maintain his current profile.

For example, his current local profile is located at:
c:/Documents and Settings/CEO.DOMAIN
After rejoining DOMAIN again, he ends up as something like"
c:/Documents and Settings/CEO.DOMAI~1

The quick way to back him out was to restore to a previous recovery
point. But the next time he logs in on the network at work, it will
create a new profile for him, so I want to be sure, I get this ready
before he logs in the next time on our network.

Curtis

Dave Patrick

By virtue of the fact that the profile is "CEO.DOMAIN" means it was joined
to the domain. More than likely the profile is corrupt. If the profile is
corrupt, you can rename the profile (while logged on as local admin), then
when the user logs on again a new profile will be created from the image in
\default user. You can then copy over the items you need from the renamed
profile. Copy the folder contents not the folders themselves. When your sure
you have all you need, you can delete the renamed profile(s). Use the import
function of your e-mail software.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| This is a strange situation, which has never happened before.
| My CEOs XP laptop was joined to our W2K domain months ago. Haven't been
| any problems. But then just the other day I noticed that his computer
| had actually never been added to the domain. So, I not even really sure
| how he has been a part of the domain this whole time.
| Anyhow.
| The other day I used the wizard for joining a network domain on his
| computer (through Control Panel > System). After joining his computer
| and rebooting, he had an entirely new local profile.
|
| I am sure there is some way to do this so that after rebooting he can
| maintain his current profile.
|
| For example, his current local profile is located at:
| c:/Documents and Settings/CEO.DOMAIN
| After rejoining DOMAIN again, he ends up as something like"
| c:/Documents and Settings/CEO.DOMAI~1
|
| The quick way to back him out was to restore to a previous recovery
| point. But the next time he logs in on the network at work, it will
| create a new profile for him, so I want to be sure, I get this ready
| before he logs in the next time on our network.
|
| Curtis

Curtis Vaughan

Here's an idea. What if I log into the domain again and he'll get a new
profile. I'll make sure the new profile has access to his old profile
folder, then go to regedit and find the profile list for his new profile
and point it to his old profile?

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Curtis

Dave Patrick

Only if the profile is not corrupt.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Here's an idea. What if I log into the domain again and he'll get a new
| profile. I'll make sure the new profile has access to his old profile
| folder, then go to regedit and find the profile list for his new profile
| and point it to his old profile?
|
| HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
|
| Curtis

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Curtis said:
[...]

Hi,

I solve this by (in the registry) changing the profile path for
the new user to point to the old user's profile folder (the user
needs to log on at least once first).

From: Bruce Sanderson ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Moving a W2K PC between domains
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
Date: 2002-08-05 17:32:49 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uz48D$NPCHA.612@tkmsftngp08

If the user is not a local admin, you might need to to something on the
permission side. Use tip 4631 and 2240 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
http://www.jsiinc.com as a guide.

More here as well:

Subject: Lost profile when domain name changes
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mi...3d016f22ef1/3df2c9e942dd2f87#3df2c9e942dd2f87

HOW TO: Restore a User Profile in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;314045