Kaspersky denies involvement in NSA data breach

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Kaspersky have hit the headlines again, with allegations that confidential documents were stolen from an NSA contractor's home computer by Russian agents. These files were allegedly targeted by hackers after being identified by the AV software. Kaspersky have robustly denied the allegations:

The report may well be true, but, for now, there's no way to independently confirm it. The report is based on unnamed people the publication says had knowledge of the matter, and it provides no evidence to support its claim. What's more, the lack of detail leaves open the possibility that, even if Kaspersky's AV did help Russia home in on the highly sensitive code and documents, the disclosure was the inadvertent result of a software bug, and no one from Kaspersky Lab cooperated with the attackers in any way. Also lost in the focus on Kaspersky Lab is the startling revelation that yet another NSA insider managed to sneak classified material outside of the NSA's network and put it on an unsecured computer. More of this analysis will follow.

Read the rest here:
https://arstechnica.com/information...ms-kaspersky-helped-steal-secret-nsa-secrets/

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
That's worrying. I use Kaspersky but luckily I have nothing that the Russians would be interested in. :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm just a pessimist, but I'm sure the NSA, GCHQ and agencies all around the world do the exact same sorts of thing.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm just a pessimist, but I'm sure the NSA, GCHQ and agencies all around the world do the exact same sorts of thing.

I personally think that Kaspersky are being picked on just for being Russian. It's still a great AV. :)