K8V SE Deluxe - Hard drive not recognised

Reaction score
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]I bought a new hard drive recently ([/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Maxtor 6H500F0). [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]I tried to perform a clean install of XP home on the new drive but[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] it is not being recognised by either the BIOS or XP. My original drive ([/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Maxtor 6Y160M0) [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]is a SATA interface, the new one SATAII however my motherboard (ASUS K8V SE Deluxe) should support this. I have the manufacturers SATA drivers and add them at the initial stage of XP installation (something i learned about the hard way when adding my old drive) but no joy. When installing my old drive, i experienced the same problem with the BIOS not recognising it but XP would pick it up during installation once the drivers disk was added,.

The drive is powered and connected correctly and configured to operate at SATA transfer rates (using Force150 jumper setting) as recommended by Maxtor and ASUS.

I don't really want to play around with re-flashing the BIOS if i can avoid it, particularly as it's an AMIBIOS and ASUS motherboard so each company will only support its own BIOS/Mboard.

[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]It should all work but for some reason, won't. [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]I am open to ideas to get this sorted.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

P.S.

AMIBIOS version: 08.00.09 rev 1001
XP Home (Pre-SP1 installation CD)
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
[/font]

Ask a Question