Just confused! Windows Messenger 4.7 VS 5.0

G

Hi there! Im from Portugal and I am a little bit confused about the differences between Windows Messenger 4.7 and 5.0
The thing is: 1- Why does my WM 4.7.2009 does not notify me that an update is available
2- If the 5.0 is a newer version that 4.7 WHY did it lose some of the greatest features of 4.7
3- Why in the Windows Messenger download site it appears 4.7 version and there is a link to 5.0 that says "To download a version of Windows Messenger that works with both .NET Messenger Service, SIP Communication Service, and Microsoft® Exchange 2000 Server, click here."? Shouldn't it appear in the splash screen
4- Why is the Windows Messenger 5.0 less "XP Home" and more "Pro"

Please answer my questions ok? thanks a LO
EURO 2004 - PORTUGAL

G

Ups sorry

Here's the fifth question:
5- The 4.x family of Windows Messenger ends here? I mean.. There won't be new updates for WM 4.x

OK that is my last question.. Hope you answer the five.
PORTUGAL - EUROPEAN SOCCER CHAMPIONSHIP 2004 (EURO 2004)

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings Jotenko,

1. Windows Messenger 5 is considered a separate product from Windows Messenger 4.x. Due to
some functionality being removed in Windows Messenger 5, to avoid confusion, there is no
upgrade message to 5.0.
2. The features in question are MSN features which have moved to MSN Messenger exclusively.
3. Windows Messenger 5 is primarily geared towards the user making use of both the .NET
Messenger network and the Exchange or SIP-based communications service. As such, it's
primarily deployed by enterprises, and therefore there's no big marketing campaign for it on
the web.
4. Don't really understand this one, but as I said, it is primarily used by the
enterprise/business market for its specific functionality and therefore would be "Pro".
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

Ask a Question