Junk emails from System Administrator!!

chris menzies

I have a user who is getting dozens of emails similar to...............

From: System Administrator
Sent: 09 April 2008 14:01
To: Martin Moore
Subject: Undeliverable: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

Subject: [*****SPAM*****] УÑлуги по перевозке мебели квартир, офиÑов,
дач по МоÑкве и МО
Sent: 09/04/2008 12:12

(e-mail address removed) on 09/04/2008 14:00
assistance, contact your system administrator.
< kair.permregion.ru #5.7.1 X-Postfix; Your email has spam-like
header content. (postmaster)>

................and yes, his name is Martin Moore!!

What could be causing these to appear in his INBOX and not his JUNK-EMAIL
folder?

Brian Tillman

chris menzies said:
I have a user who is getting dozens of emails similar
to............... ....snip...
What could be causing these to appear in his INBOX and not his
JUNK-EMAIL folder?

Non-delivery reports are generally not considered spam. What this message
indicates to me is that someone has hijacked Mr. Moore's mail address and
used it as the sender address for a slew of spam. Because this spam is
being caught and rejected or is being delivered to invalid addresses, Mr.
Moore (since he appears to be the sender) is getting the NDRs.

chris menzies

Thank you Brian :blush:)

So how would you suggest we stop this? He is now receiving around 5 emails
every minute at the moment, directly to his inbox. We are running a McAfee
virusscan as well as a SpyBot scan to make sure nothing suspect is on the
PC.............would you suggest another application or process in
determining the source of this problem?

Brian Tillman

chris menzies said:
So how would you suggest we stop this? He is now receiving around 5
emails every minute at the moment, directly to his inbox. We are
running a McAfee virusscan as well as a SpyBot scan to make sure
nothing suspect is on the PC.............would you suggest another
application or process in determining the source of this problem?

It's highly unlikely that his PC is the source of the problem. Typically,
it would be the PC of someone with his address in the address book that has
been compromised and is now a spambot. There's little you can do. It
should taper off after a while. A rule may be able to ameliorate the volume
of messages. See if there's something constant in the subject and use a
rule that looks for that string in the subject.

VanguardLH

I have a user who is getting dozens of emails similar to...............