Journal_Wrap Errors

Steve

I have 1 of 4 Domain Controllers erroring out with
Jrnl_Wrap_Errors. All of the DCs are WIN2k SP4. I have
read that they suggest that post SP 3 you increase the USN
size. However, There is no registry key for the said
entry.

HKLM\System\CCS\Services\NTFRS\Parameters\"Ntfs Journal
size in MB" (REG_DWORD)

They say the default in SP2 is 32M, in SP4, its 128M.
What should I have for SP4?

The drive on the DC is fine, plenty of space.

How can I correct this problem ?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve

Thanks for the reply,
No that DC ws not down for a prolonged period of time.

Has anyone had success resetting the Registry value as
noted below on a SP4 DC? I would have to add this key in
the registry.

During the recovery process data in the replica tree may
be unavailable. You should reset the registry parameter
described above to 0 to prevent automatic recovery from
making the data unexpectedly unavailable if this error
condition occurs again.

To change this registry parameter, run regedit.

Click on Start, Run and type regedit.

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
Click down the key path:
"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters"
Double click on the value name
"Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore"
and update the value.

If the value name is not present you may add it with the
New->DWORD Value function under the Edit Menu item. Type
the value name exactly as shown above.

Thanks in advance for the support.

Steve

David Pharr [MSFT]

The only way to fix a journal_wrap error is to have that DC pull its Sysvol
contents from another. The registry key listed in the error message allows
that process to work successfully. If not, the Burflags D2 setting on that
machine will also allow it to perform the same functionality.

The best document that is available to understand FRS and troubleshoot all
the errors that you encounter is the FRS Monitoring Help File found at the
following website:
Monitoring and Troubleshooting the File Replication Service
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/fileandprint/file/df
s/tshootfrs.mspx

For your particular issue, download the compiled html file (called
ultrasound.chm) and open it. Under the Contents tab, expand
Troubleshooting FRS, expand FRS Troubleshooting Topics and select USN
Journal Wrap. Steps to resolve this issue are listed there.

David Pharr, (e-mail address removed)