Join Domain

G

I have a windows 2003 server setup as a SQL server and need to join our network Domain Controller. I followed the instruction "Join a domain from a workgroup" as Open System=>Computer Name=>Change=>member of=>Domain, entered the domain name and it then prompted me a screen called "Computer Name Changes" with the instructions as: "Enter the name and password of an account with permission to join the domain".

It indicated that I need to enter the valid user name and password for domain access. However, the user name already had the user account (a user account image) and I can not remove or change the user account to the one I suppose to use for the domain access. Why the user name filled with the default account? and how can I remove that default user account so that I can enter the one I suppose to use? Anyone had the same problems

Thanks a lot for the help
Tmccua

R

Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MVP

tmccuan said:
I have a windows 2003 server setup as a SQL server and need to join our network Domain Controller. I followed the instruction "Join a domain from a workgroup" as Open System=>Computer Name=>Change=>member of=>Domain, entered the domain name and it then prompted me a screen called "Computer Name Changes" with the instructions as: "Enter the name and password of an account with permission to join the domain".

It indicated that I need to enter the valid user name and password for domain access. However, the user name already had the user account (a user account image) and I can not remove or change the user account to the one I suppose to use for the domain access. Why the user name filled with the default account? and how can I remove that default user account so that I can enter the one I suppose to use? Anyone had the same problems?

Thanks a lot for the help.
Tmccuan

Perhaps you were not logged into the SQL server w/ local admin rights,
but I don't think that should make a difference.

I'd try 2 things:

1) Make sure you are logged in w/ local admin rights and try again
OR
2) Create the computer account in the domain first, then try adding the
server to the domain and you should not have to enter domain admin
credentials.

hth

Ask a Question