Subject: Re: Jet database engine error
From: "John Vinson"
<jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> Sent: 1/11/2004
3:26:45 PM

I wondered if anyone has the solution to the following
error which I encounter when entering information in a
form which I have created in Access:

"The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process
because you and another user are attempting to change the
same data at the same time."

This usually happens because you are attempting to update
the same
record in two different ways at the same time, for
instance by having
the record open on a Form and using VBA code or an Update
query which
attempts to affect the same record; or having two forms
(perhaps a
form and a subform) both editing the same record
simultaneously.

If that's not the case please post a bit of the context
which causes
this error.

..

John Vinson

Further to my earlier post on this subject and your reply
I would be grateful if you could give me some more
information on how to fix this.

Thanking you in anticipation

Gladly, if you will do as I suggested:

Please post the context. What are you doing when this happens? What
code is being executed, or what operations are you performing?

I cannot see your database (and no, please don't upload it), and you
have not posted your code. I can't suggest how to fix a problem that I
cannot see.

John,
This is the error report I get when I go into help.
The error happens when I try an enter data in the next
primary key number. I have though, no idea why it thinks
there are other users as I don't have any other users
accessing and inputing into the database. Look forward to
your response. Lawrence

The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process
because you and another user are attempting to change the
same data at the same time. (Error 3197) This error can
occur in a multiuser environment. Another user has
changed the data you are trying to update. This error can
occur when multiple users open a table or create a
Recordset and use optimistic <JavaScript:hhobj_1.Click()
locking. Between the time you used the Edit method and
the Update method, another user changed the same data. To
overwrite the other user's changes with your own, execute
the Update method again.

Further to my earlier post on this subject and your reply
I would be grateful if you could give me some more
information on how to fix this.

Thanking you in anticipation

Gladly, if you will do as I suggested:
Please post the context. What are you doing when this
happens? What
code is being executed, or what operations are you
performing?
I cannot see your database (and no, please don't upload
it), and you
have not posted your code. I can't suggest how to fix a
problem that I
cannot see.
John W. Vinson[MVP]
Come for live chats every Tuesday and Thursday
http://go.compuserve.com/msdevapps?loc=us

John Vinson

John,
This is the error report I get when I go into help.
The error happens when I try an enter data in the next
primary key number.

Are you trying to type data into an Autonumber field? Doing so should
not give you *this* particular error, but you cannot "enter data" or
edit an Autonumber field. Are you using a Form within an Access
database to do this? or (giving the JavaScript reference) perhaps are
you using a Web application (it would help a LOT to indicate what
software you're using if so!)
I have though, no idea why it thinks
there are other users as I don't have any other users
accessing and inputing into the database. Look forward to
your response. Lawrence

The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process
because you and another user are attempting to change the
same data at the same time. (Error 3197) This error can
occur in a multiuser environment. Another user has
changed the data you are trying to update. This error can
occur when multiple users open a table or create a
Recordset and use optimistic <JavaScript:hhobj_1.Click()
the Update method, another user changed the same data. To
overwrite the other user's changes with your own, execute
the Update method again.

Some suggestions:

- Compact and repair the database
- If that doesn't help, create a new, empty database and use File...
Get External Data... Import to import all the objects from this
database into it.

Reiko

I had a similar problem with a table I created in Access. I kept
getting another user error.

I easily and successfully fixed the table by doing the following:

1. copied and pasted the table to a new table. structure only.
ie. copied table Patients to Patients2 - structure only.

2. created an append query with all of the records from the other
table and left out the field that had the error on it. Or you could
copy all records except the offending record.

the nice thing is it copies the correct autonumber as well so you
don't have to worry about cross relations with other tables the id
stays the same.

3. rename the old table to something else. Patients = PatientsOld
4. rename the new table to the name of the old table.
Patients2=Patients

No problems now.

If you feel safe with the new table Patients I would delete the
PatientsOld and then compact the database.

Reiko Layman
Programmer