Javascript Links Won't Open


G

Guest

All of the sudden I can't open any Javascript based pop-up links in IE6 .
When I click on the link nothing at all happens. (In Firefox they open just
fine.) I am running XP Professional SP2. I have read other posts and so far
have not found a working solution. I do not believe that the problem occurred
immediately upon updating to SP2. I noticed it shortly after installing a
vendor's parts catalog but this may be coincidence. (I uninstalled it but
this made no difference.)

I have read other posts and so far have not found a solution that works. I
did try the steps suggested at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;281679 except for
reinstalling my IE or my OS. Are there any other steps that you would
suggest before I try that? Your help is greatly appreciated.
 
Ad

Advertisements

F

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

Ron said:
All of the sudden I can't open any Javascript based pop-up links in
IE6 . When I click on the link nothing at all happens. (In Firefox
they open just fine.) I am running XP Professional SP2. I have read
other posts and so far have not found a working solution. I do not
believe that the problem occurred immediately upon updating to SP2.
I noticed it shortly after installing a vendor's parts catalog but
this may be coincidence. (I uninstalled it but this made no
difference.)

I have read other posts and so far have not found a solution that
works. I did try the steps suggested at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;281679 except
for reinstalling my IE or my OS. Are there any other steps that you
would suggest before I try that? Your help is greatly appreciated.

1. You might want to refresh your scripting engine:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/default.asp?contentid=28001169
or
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...43-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en

Sometimes there's a corrupt file in the cache and one must go to Tools |
Internet Options and click Delete Files.

2a. Start>Run>Regsvr32 vbscript.dll

2b. Start>Run>Regsvr32 jscript.dll

(WinXP users who have problems with 2a and 2b, see
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers_9.htm)

3. Re-register all DLLs listed in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

4. See also
Error Message When You Browse the Web: An Error Has Occurred in the Script
on This Page
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306831
Scripting Errors When You View Web Pages in Internet Explorer after
Installing Office 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822521

5a. IE Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Browsing>Enable third-party browser
extensions (uncheck & reboot).

5b. Find the hijacker that caused 5a to be checked (or if none were checked,
check for hijackware anyway):

Dealing with Hijackware
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
 
G

Guest

Ron said:
All of the sudden I can't open any Javascript based pop-up links in IE6 .
When I click on the link nothing at all happens. (In Firefox they open just
fine.) I am running XP Professional SP2. I have read other posts and so far
have not found a working solution. I do not believe that the problem occurred
immediately upon updating to SP2. I noticed it shortly after installing a
vendor's parts catalog but this may be coincidence. (I uninstalled it but
this made no difference.)

I have read other posts and so far have not found a solution that works. I
did try the steps suggested at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;281679 except for
reinstalling my IE or my OS. Are there any other steps that you would
suggest before I try that? Your help is greatly appreciated.
 
G

Guest

I had this very same problem and messed with it for about 5 hours before I
entered the newsgroups looking for answers. I followed all the steps and it
fixed my problem as well. Thank you so much Frank Saunders!!!!! I would
have been up all night and never would have figuered this out on my own.

Do you know WHY this happened?
Regan
Oklahoma City, OK
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Guest

New development...

Frank's solution worked ... for 1 day! Today it was doing the same thing
again. So I started going through Frank's solutions again in order - this
time restarting IE after each fix that I tried, to see if that fix solved the
problem. When I got to the point of clearing all files via the IE Tools menu,
this fixed the problem again!

Odd. What would have caused this relapse? Spyware and Virus scans don't
show anything amiss. Any thoughts? I suppose I can just keep clearing files
every time the problem comes up again (if this fix works every time), but I'm
quite curious as to what might be causing this and how I can come up with a
"real" fix.
 
F

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

Regan said:
I had this very same problem and messed with it for about 5 hours
before I entered the newsgroups looking for answers. I followed all
the steps and it fixed my problem as well. Thank you so much Frank
Saunders!!!!! I would have been up all night and never would have
figuered this out on my own.

Do you know WHY this happened?
Regan

Thanks for the feedback.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
 
F

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

Ron said:
New development...

Frank's solution worked ... for 1 day! Today it was doing the same
thing again. So I started going through Frank's solutions again in
order - this time restarting IE after each fix that I tried, to see
if that fix solved the problem. When I got to the point of clearing
all files via the IE Tools menu, this fixed the problem again!

Odd. What would have caused this relapse? Spyware and Virus scans
don't show anything amiss. Any thoughts? I suppose I can just keep
clearing files every time the problem comes up again (if this fix
works every time), but I'm quite curious as to what might be causing
this and how I can come up with a "real" fix.

I have no idea why it didn't stick the first time. Have you verified that
it stays fixed after a reboot?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
 
G

Guest

I'm having the same problem opeining Javascript:OpenWin links. I did
everything Frank suggested and none of it worked. I have XP Home SP2. Any
other suggestions? I've run SpySweeper, Pest Patrol and HiJack This; my
system looks clean. There's nothing odd running in Task Manager. I've also
tried shutting down Norton Internet Security (briefly) to see if there was
some setting in that program interfering. I'm at a loss.
 
G

Guest

Thanks Frank #5a (third party) seems to have done the buisness for me, it
removed two toolbars from my web pages, one from yahoo and one from my web
search, although i think it was to do with yahoo as when i searched from this
position the error on page was always there and not so on the other, thanks
again, ricky.
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top