Java is Causing a Black Screen

G

Let me start with my system, as I do not know what info might be necessary to analyze this problem.

I am the owner and only user on a non-networked home PC. I have full permissons, built the computer myself and installed all my own software.

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard
P4 3.2 processer
2Gig DDR ram
Radeon 9800 XT graphic card
Adaptec 29320 SCSI card
2 SCSI 320 hard drives
Hitachi CM751 19" CRT Monitor
Windows XP Home Ed
Norton Antivirus/System Works 2004
Spybot S&D, Ad-aware

Please note: I do keep every program, the OS, drivers, etc, updated. And I run my utilites frequently. I can find no error messages, no viruses or spyware, and I have no other hard or software issues.

Finally-- the problem:

Whether I am on or off line, if I use Java web start, my monitor goes black. But the odd thing is, if I use my mouse, to grab a hold of an open window, and move that window around the desktop, the window acts like an eraser, removing the black from the monitor.
I have only encountered one on line problem which produces this black monitor state, and it is occuring on a web site's chat room. I imagine it uses Java.

I can not find any info about this on the Java web site, nor do I see this particular issue posted anywhere else on the techtv message boards.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this conflict or problem, and how I might resolve it (other than simply not using Java Web Start)?

B

Big Mac

Maybe this won't help at all, but:
I accidentally downloaded the java "developers program" instead of the
regular Java program that works with Internet Explorer. Pressing
"Java Web Start" got me nowhere except a little Window that said Java
in it. I deleted that shortcut and then the developers program
(add/remove), and download what I was supposed to have, the Java
program that is for regular home users at (I can now see all java
based sites):

http://java.com/en/index.jsp

Maybe the Java Web is all of the web sites that use java on them, I
don't know. Maybe I am supposed to have that icon to look at them.
But why - if I am surfing the net with Internet explorer, all I want
is to be able to go to any website, whether it is java based or not.

G

I did install the correct version of Java. But I appreciate your taking time to help me.

Ask a Question