japanese characters in POP3 Outlook 2003

Any message received written in Japanese, is shown in Outlook as a bunch of
question marks instead of the actually characters.

Outlook 2003 POP3
WinXP Pro SP2

How can I fix this?

tia

Pat Willener

There are three aspects to this:
- You must use a Unicode-type PST file
- You must run Outlook in Unicode mode
- The incoming message must be properly encoded (by the sender) as
Japanese - usually ISO-2022-JP.

Regarding Unicode PST file, see this article for more information
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ork2003/HA011402301033.aspx

Regarding Outlook and Unicode mode, see this article
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ork2003/HA011402611033.aspx

If the sender did not specify the correct Japanese encoding, you can
edit the message and set the encoding to Japanese (JIS).

Thanks Pat,

The installation is new and based on the second article you posted, Unicode
mode is the default for new installations of Office 2003, yet we're still
seeing the issue.

What else should I check?

Also worth noting is that many articles indicate that the issue of the
multiple question marks is specific to the subject, yet the body should
display correctly.

Unfortunately for us, we're seeing the exact _opposite_ behavior.

Thanks for your help

Pat Willener

If you see the Subject line properly displayed, then you are most
probably running in Unicode mode.

Please check the encoding of one of the incoming messages. Click View |
Options, then search the message headers for a line like this

If you find it, then we must continue to look elsewhere for the problem.
If you don't find it, or the charset is different, then it's the
sender's problem. But let's first see what you find.

Thanks Pat,

Here's the only reference to Content Type in the email headers:

Just for your reference, here is the entire header with email addresses and
domains snipped:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: "snip" <snip>
To: "'snip'" <snip>
Subject: =?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCJCIkTiRNGyhC?=
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:42:52 +0900

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pat Willener

Yes, that makes sense. You can see that the Subject line starts with
"=?iso-2022-jp?", which indicates to the receiving mail client that the
line is encoded in JIS - thus, it displays correctly.

The message body, however, is not encoded. this causes the receiving
mail client not to recognize the data, and displays it as either
"mojibake" or question marks.

Next question for you is: was this sent from a Japanese or Western
Windows system? The reason is that Japanese systems normally *expect*
Japanese messages, and sometimes not even bother to check the encoding.
Nor do they, sometimes, insert the encoding when creating the message.

If it's from a Western Windows (Outlook Express), then the user must
either explicitly specify the encoding, or specify a default encoding
that will work.

If you have no control over the sender of the message(s), then your only
option is to edit the incoming message, set it to the correct encoding
and save it. This should enable you to read the message.

From: "snip" <snip>
To: "'snip'" <snip>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:42:52 +0900

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pat Willener said:
Yes, that makes sense. You can see that the Subject line starts with
"=?iso-2022-jp?", which indicates to the receiving mail client that the
line is encoded in JIS - thus, it displays correctly.

The message body, however, is not encoded. this causes the receiving
mail client not to recognize the data, and displays it as either
"mojibake" or question marks.

Next question for you is: was this sent from a Japanese or Western
Windows system? The reason is that Japanese systems normally *expect*
Japanese messages, and sometimes not even bother to check the encoding.
Nor do they, sometimes, insert the encoding when creating the message.

It's been happening from both .

I have a user on my LAN who has been sending test emails to the first user,
so what should I check on her system? She is also running WinXP Pro SP2 and
Outlook 2003 SP2
If it's from a Western Windows (Outlook Express), then the user must
either explicitly specify the encoding, or specify a default encoding
that will work.

If you have no control over the sender of the message(s), then your only
option is to edit the incoming message, set it to the correct encoding
and save it. This should enable you to read the message.

Can you provide a link with instructions on how to accomplish this? Or can
you give me a quick summary of the steps to take?

Also do you think this will work with all the previous emails that show just
?????s in the body?

Thanks for you help, it's very much appreciated.

From: "snip" <snip>
To: "'snip'" <snip>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:42:52 +0900

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:

mberryttsf wrote:
Any message received written in Japanese, is shown in Outlook as a bunch of
question marks instead of the actually characters.

Outlook 2003 POP3
WinXP Pro SP2

How can I fix this?

tia

pd

This seems very much like the problem I am having with Korean as
posted at:

http://groups.google.com/group/micr...9c3?lnk=gst&q=korean&rnum=21#0f029e50cc2cb9c3

What confuses me is that the small preview window that pops up when a
new mail arrives can display the body text correctly but Outlook still
only displays the question marks.

I have no control over the sender of the messages as they can come
from many different sources.

I would also apprecaite some more details on how to "edit the incoming
message, set it to the correct encoding
and save it." to allow me to read the original Korean text.

Thanks.

Pat Willener

To set a received message to a different encoding (Outlook 2003):
- open message
- Edit | Edit Message
- Format | Encoding | select 'Japanese (JIS)' [More will show more]

To set the outgoing message's default encoding (Outlook 2003): Tools |
Options | tab Mail Format | International Options | Preferred encoding
for outgoing messages: select Japanese (JIS) [or Japanese (JIS-Allow
1-byte Kana)]

And - for the poster with the Korean question - yes, you should be able
to correct the encoding of old messages. However, if they were received
in ASCII mode instead of Unicode mode, then there is no way to recover
the multibyte data that has already been lost.

From: "snip" <snip>
To: "'snip'" <snip>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:42:52 +0900
mberryttsf wrote:
Any message received written inJapanese, is shown in Outlook as a bunch of
question marks instead of the actually characters.
Outlook 2003 POP3
WinXP Pro SP2
How can I fix this?
tia- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for the help. However I tried what you suggested but it
seems that the email was received (or at least saved) in ASCII mode.

Outlook seems to be defaulting to save some messages in this mode.
How can I prevent this?

I am sure that the message I have was not "received" in "plain text"
as I could see the Korean text in the message body displayed correctly
when the email arrived. This was in the semi-transparent window that
pops up when new mail arrives.

I have made sure that the Tools - Options - Email Options - "Read all
incoming mail in plain text" is unchecked but I some mail (and only
some) is being saved in plain text despite being sent in HTML?

By the way I am using a POP3 server and not exchange.

pd

:
From: "snip" <snip>
To: "'snip'" <snip>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:42:52 +0900
mberryttsf wrote:
[...]

By the way I am using a POP3 server and not exchange.- Hide quoted text -

After making the above post I did some further checking and it seems
that Outlook 2003 is saving some messages, for some reason only in
Plain Text.

I have found several instances of messages from the same user, using
the same email server, but some messages arrive as HTML and others
(from the same) arrive as Plain Text, despite all being sent from
Outlook as HTML.

Can anyone explain why this may be happening? I think that this
problem may be the root of my Korean text problem.

Any ideas and suggestions greatfully appreciated.