It's about time!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
As open source surges Microsoft admits Linux threat.

The news

It's about time! (This is what Rafiqi says to Simba towards the end of the movie "Lion King" ;)

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
Well, I ran across this nice little distro called PCLINUXOS, and been running it for a week or 2. I've been able to install my officejet printer, card reader, network it with another pc running the same os, get an old lexmark printer and hp scanner running on that pc. Got my ipod running on both too. So far it's been an easy distro. I could really see it as a threat to Windows. :thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
ladypcer said:
Well, I ran across this nice little distro called PCLINUXOS, and been running it for a week or 2. I've been able to install my officejet printer, card reader, network it with another pc running the same os, get an old lexmark printer and hp scanner running on that pc. Got my ipod running on both too. So far it's been an easy distro. I could really see it as a threat to Windows. :thumb:

Yes, Linux has come a long way and I have been using Ubuntu which handles everything I need it to. only one thing keeps me from avoiding single boot and that is my GPS device which cannot be updated on Linux. If this issue is somehow resolved I will be exclusively using Linux and say farewell to Windoze.
nod.gif

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
I'm going days without booting into Windows, and then only to check on a website I don't have written down, or to play a Yahoo game. I think I will soon be telling Vista bye bye.
happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with me 64 Bit Mandriva and only use Windows for games.

If them Yahoo games are flash based you should be able to play em on linux.

You might find the Xmarks (formerly Foxmarks) add-on for FF useful. I have it running on two XP pc's and had it running on several linux pc's with no problems, it certainly made life a lot easier. I only used the bookmarking tool though.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410

happywave.gif

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
If them Yahoo games are flash based you should be able to play em on linux.

happywave.gif

These are downloaded games. I looked through the yahoo games site and I don't see anything that says they support Linux. Maybe will look at it more tomorrow.

I'll check out Xmarks. Thanks. :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Xmarks is a great add-on which I cannot do without, I have it on both OS XP/Ubuntu. I also have it on my memory sticks which come in very handy if I am using someone elses computer or in the office machine. Never had any issues and updates your bookmarks across the board automatically. Anyone who uses FF should have it as a mandatory add-on

Ask a Question