Is there any point...

Reaction score
Throwing money at my old HP P4 downstairs?

Its a standard S478 2.6ghz, and because its HP, I can't OC it.

A 3.0ghz is available for about £50. Would the difference be noticable?

Also, it runs on a pretty standard Radeon 9600pro (with my own modified Arctic Cooler), but there would be little point I fear in getting an x1950 or something for £100, and I doubt an x1650 would show me a huge enough difference to warrant me moolah going on it when I am trying to scrimp enough for an X2 for my rig :(

What do ya reckon?

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
£100 ish would get you a overclockable ,

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...Athlon+64+X2+4600+Retail+AM2+?productId=25163

and a mobo

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...mcF9zdHlsZT1saXN0JnBfcHJvZHVjdHNQZXJQYWdlPSY=

I see you can get AGP or PCI or even both I seem to recal . It really depends what you are after .
nod.gif

Reaction score
put it this way potguy, you'd notice a bigger difference if you spent the £50 on pot.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Techy said:
put it this way potguy, you'd notice a bigger difference if you spent the £50 on pot.

LOL
laughingsmiley.gif

PG i'd start saving for a new system

Reaction score
lmao
laughingsmiley.gif

I kind of thought it wouldn't.

I don't really use it anymore as I have my system, but everyone is on at me as it is annoyingly slow. I was just hoping a £50 fix may keep it at bay.

Oh well. If it would take a new system, then they can go to hell ;)

I'm getting mmyself an X2 then :D:D

Cheers.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just to add my POV - nope, not worth it, it's not just the CPU speed that counts, it's the bus speed, cache and other factors.

Get yourself a part time job and save up :D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Why should he be the one to upgrade?
everyone else is complaining, have them spend the money :D

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste a cent on it.

Your thoughts on upgrading to an X2 are spot on given that there are some good deals to be had and an X2 would suffice most home users for quite some time as long as they don't bog the machine down with spyware and such.

It is in fact very possible that the existing unit could perk right up with a clean install if your users are anything like my offspring who have a gift for slowing down just about any machine with their careless downloading habits.

Reaction score
Alf said:
Why should he be the one to upgrade?
everyone else is complaining, have them spend the money :D

:D

My thoughts exactly.

Its the result of being the only computer literate one in the family.

You can't get a sniff of it until it goes wrong, then it is your responsibility :p

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Well, in that case
I would do a clean install like Spezi said, or tell em that if they want a faster computer... they have to pay YOU to make it faster. :)

Reaction score
I only formatted a couple of months ago! Its just knackered. Its been run everyday for nearly 5 years and used to be the gaming system as well. That, coupled with it being an HP, don't bode well :D

Still its a reliiable old horse.

They can just suffer. I'm getting meself a shiny nice X2 :D