Is the KT800pro a big problem with asus motherboard.

DDC

Is the KT800pro a big problem with asus motherboard.

I' got an agp videocard and i want to get the best of agp s939
motherboard and i come to asus with it A8v non-deluxe board.

But the hick is at my local reteller thay say that kt800pro is a piece
of shit... Why is that and what would be the probleme cause by that
kt800pro.

TY

Bob Knowlden

I've had an A8V Deluxe for about 16 months. (Essentailly the same as the A8V
vanilla, but with an added Promise drive controller and some other stuff
that I probably don't need.)

The "piece of shit" has been reliable. Lately, it has been running with an
X2 4400+ CPU. Via has a spotty reputation, but the K8T800 Pro seems to be
OK. (I admit that I tried a pair of 1 GB DIMMs on it recently, and never got
them to work reliably. That was a surprise; my old RAM is a pair of
unmatched 512 kB sticks.) The K8T800 Pro chipset is an old one, but at least
it supports dual core CPUs. I believe that the newer K8T890 chipset
(similar, but with PCI-Express graphics) may not.

If you need AGP, your other choices would be boards using the nVidia nForce3
family chipsets. A newer option is the Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 board (M1695
chipset). It's unique in that it has an AGP slot and a PCI-E X16 slot. The
unique part is that it can run either type of graphics card at full
performance. (It is otherwise a budget board, though.) One source is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

Paul

DDC said:
Is the KT800pro a big problem with asus motherboard.

I' got an agp videocard and i want to get the best of agp s939
motherboard and i come to asus with it A8v non-deluxe board.

But the hick is at my local reteller thay say that kt800pro is a piece
of shit... Why is that and what would be the probleme cause by that
kt800pro.

TY

If you look for them, you can find the odd positive comment
as well as the negative.

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.c..._frm/thread/67f33a175e74f040/da475ea11146e57a

Some of the private forums will have extended threads about
the board. It might take 5 to 6 hours to read the whole thing.

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74370

The Newegg reviews are usually a good way of rating a board.
Once you throw out the comments from people who don't know
what they are doing... This thread is for the A8V (non-deluxe),
because the A8V Deluxe retail version is no longer being sold
by Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16813131541

The thing is, some of the smaller chipset makers in the past,
have had trouble making really good AGP interfaces. And memories
of ancient motherboards that didn't work well, will tend to
color people's opinions of modern boards.

An alternative, would be one of the ULI chipsets, but as the chipset
that supports both AGP and PCI-E is not being broadly manufactured
by the major motherboard makers, it is hard to get a product with
good support and the ULI chipset at the same time. The K8T800pro
remains the existing alternative.

Unless you can find multiple reports of K8T800pro and certain
brands of video cards having problems, it is pretty hard to
blame the chipset. It is too bad the one comment in the Newegg
review, did not mention the forum where all the bad experiences
were recorded.

Paul

John Hollingsworth

*From:* DDC <[email protected]>
*Date:* Sat, 17 Dec 2005 13:23:03 -0500

Is the KT800pro a big problem with asus motherboard.

I' got an agp videocard and i want to get the best of agp s939
motherboard and i come to asus with it A8v non-deluxe board.

But the hick is at my local reteller thay say that kt800pro is a piece
of shit... Why is that and what would be the probleme cause by that
kt800pro.

TY
I don't know what problems others have had, but I've had the A8V Deluxe
MB for ~ 15months and have used Matrox 8x, PNY and Asus 4x AGP cards
with no problems.

John

Please remove "NOSPAM" if sending email.

DDC

Le Sun, 18 Dec 2005 10:20 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(e-mail address removed) (John Hollingsworth) a écrit :
I don't know what problems others have had, but I've had the A8V Deluxe
MB for ~ 15months and have used Matrox 8x, PNY and Asus 4x AGP cards
with no problems.

John

Please remove "NOSPAM" if sending email.

Yeah but at the re seller shop they've said all the bad side they've
encounter with the board and got me to change my mind on my choice. I
really though that asus with the a8v would have been a good choice but
now i can't fix my mind. Also they recommend me a nf board, but the
only thing is that they got none at the moment IE: the MSI k8n neo2
NF3 ultra witch for my kind of use would have been really a good
board.

NF3 ultra is like the ultimate kind of board a guy would want unless
he want some special feature on he's board like the a8v dx...

I just want a good board with a good back ground if i can say so, And
from my gaming experience and other stuff i do my old nf2 board i can
say that it didn't let me down, so i would tend to think that it's the
kind of board i would chose at first but i can't find any and would
love to get something else, but as i can see there is nothing on the
market in my region. I got at least 5 re tellers of computer and none
of them can sell me something good. This is sad cause at the moment
i'm stuck with the pc's of the kids ;-(. I just sold my old rig...

The main reason in my situation of this dilemma is that i'm stuck with
a agp card a x700pro witch i bought a few mounts ago, and changing all
that is not what i want. My agp card is really good and i don't feel
the need for pci-e board... What a night mare... i do still think that
there is still room for a few years with ago video card, why would
manufacturers would change that? the x800 series and all others video
card in that series can surely keep up with all theses x1300 and +

lol, one of the re seller that i've spoke to told me to upgrade with
the socket 745 but i can't find the use of it, thinking that there is
only one cpu brand in that field... BS i didn't fall in to that move.
And that even if he told me that 745 cpu is better than the pentium 4
from intel. Is that true?????

John Hollingsworth

The main reason in my situation of this dilemma is that i'm stuck with
a agp card a x700pro witch i bought a few mounts ago, and changing all
that is not what i want. My agp card is really good and i don't feel
the need for pci-e board... What a night mare... i do still think that
there is still room for a few years with ago video card, why would
manufacturers would change that? the x800 series and all others video
card in that series can surely keep up with all theses x1300 and +

lol, one of the re seller that i've spoke to told me to upgrade with
the socket 745 but i can't find the use of it, thinking that there is
only one cpu brand in that field... BS i didn't fall in to that move.
And that even if he told me that 745 cpu is better than the pentium 4
from intel. Is that true?????

I am not an expert in this field, but certainly many people do feel that
Nvidia MBs are better, especially for gaming. But I still believe that
the A8V deluxe is a good MB and in fact I am going to get a X2 4400+ to
replace the 3500+ and up the Ram to 2GB.

John

Please remove "NOSPAM" if sending email.

J. Michael Milner

John Hollingsworth said:

I am not an expert in this field, but certainly many people do feel that
Nvidia MBs are better, especially for gaming. But I still believe that
the A8V deluxe is a good MB and in fact I am going to get a X2 4400+ to
replace the 3500+ and up the Ram to 2GB.

John

Please remove "NOSPAM" if sending email.

Unlike Intel, AMD doesn't make their own support chips, so MB makers have to
go to VIA, SiS, or another vendor to offer an AMD MB. VIA has been in the
game for many years and has had their share of problems (not that Intel
hasn't stumbled on support chips). In my experience boards with VIA chips
(FIC 503A+, Asus CUV4X, now A8V Deluxe) seem less well supported that their
Intel counterparts. I haven't tried an Nvidia MB but both AnandTech and
TomsHareware seem to feel that Nvidia had the better chipset at present.
For gaming I think most everybody gives AMD the nod over Intel. If you want
an AMD MB, you live with the uncertainty of the non-AMD support chips. Two
of the three boards I mentioned have AMD processors and I've found the
tradeoffs worth it for me.

John Hollingsworth

[...]
Fair enough. Now for that 4400+ ;-)