Is Svideo -> Scart better quality than composite of the same?

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have just purchased my new PC, and have moved my previous PC downstairs to use as a Media PC. The PC has an MSI Nvidia FX5200 GPU with the XFX breakout kit, and has SVideo, and a round composite video connection out.

Bizarrely, my old Goodmans TV appears to be the only TV in the world without an SVideo in but I have got it working by using a cable from the composite out to the yellow “video in” composite connection.

However, the picture isn’t great. I know it’s not a computer monitor but I was expecting a wee bit better than that before I threw my DVD player away for the one on the PC….

I am looking to upgrade to a flat panel TV this year but having just bought the PC I can’t afford this yet.

Looking around on the net I have noticed that there is an SVIDEO->Scart connection available quite cheaply. My question is, if I buy one of these will the picture quality improve using this or am I wasting my time and should just give up till I get the LCD TV with a DVI/VGA in?

Thanks

Anthony

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, there is no SVideo port in, but using "AV" on the remote I can access the S-VHS channel!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes, you probably would notice an improvement, albeit a slight one.

There are actually composite video connections on a standard scart socket, on pins 17 & 20.

Assuming your TV is wired to accept a composite video signal via the scart socket it will work.

I'm in exactly the same boat as yourself, btw, made a HTPC from old parts and a new case only to find the picture looks awful on my Goodmans widescreen 26" CRT TV.

Later this year I hope to be able to buy a flat screen TV with PC input.

Here's a link to an Hitachi 32" LCD TV with a PC socket, at £500.00 it's about the best deal I've found Hitachi

Ask a Question