J

JoAnn Paules

You can do a compare and merge but that's probably not what you mean. What
exactly are you trying to do?

G

grammatim

If you mean put them on your screen side by side and scroll them
together, then open both and click View > Side by Side. (You can
unclick the simultaneous scrolling if you want.)

M

macropod

Hi Erik,

You can link two documents together via INCLUDETEXT fields, so that any chnages to the source document are reflected in the target
document. Plus, you can edit the source document's content from the target document and save the changes back to the source document
via Ctrl-Shift-F7.

The target document can also have material that exists independently of the source document's content. Any such material, when
edited, won't be reflected in the source document. Conversely, if you want to exclude some of the material in the source document
from the target document, you can bookmark all of what you do want to include, and refer to the bookmark in the INCLUDETEXT field.

You may have to bookmark multiple ranges in the source document and use multiple INCLUDETEXT fields in the target document if you've
got more than one range in the source document that needs to be linked - this might also be needed if you need to insert additional,
unlinked material into the target document that has to be interspersed with the linked material..

See Word's help file for more details.

E

Erik Lydecker

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

What I'm trying to do is the following:

My client do not like the to use the standard "Attach File" option in
SharePoint because if they attach a file, and someone makes any changes to
the "local file", i.e. the file on the local drive, these changes will not be
reflected in the attached file in SharePoint, since SharePoint stores another
copy of the document in the Attachment folder of the specific list.

So I need to sync these two documents, if possible.

I tried the "field" option, but I'm not shore that I understand exactly how
to make it work.

/Erik

macropod said:
Hi Erik,

You can link two documents together via INCLUDETEXT fields, so that any chnages to the source document are reflected in the target
document. Plus, you can edit the source document's content from the target document and save the changes back to the source document
via Ctrl-Shift-F7.

The target document can also have material that exists independently of the source document's content. Any such material, when
edited, won't be reflected in the source document. Conversely, if you want to exclude some of the material in the source document
from the target document, you can bookmark all of what you do want to include, and refer to the bookmark in the INCLUDETEXT field.

You may have to bookmark multiple ranges in the source document and use multiple INCLUDETEXT fields in the target document if you've
got more than one range in the source document that needs to be linked - this might also be needed if you need to insert additional,
unlinked material into the target document that has to be interspersed with the linked material..

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

Erik Lydecker said:
Hi,

Is it possible to sync two word docs?

Thanks!

M

macropod

Hi Erik,

As I said, there's more info on the INCLUDETEXT field in Word's help file. How well this will work in a Sharepoint environment, I
can't say.

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

Erik Lydecker said:
Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

What I'm trying to do is the following:

My client do not like the to use the standard "Attach File" option in
SharePoint because if they attach a file, and someone makes any changes to
the "local file", i.e. the file on the local drive, these changes will not be
reflected in the attached file in SharePoint, since SharePoint stores another
copy of the document in the Attachment folder of the specific list.

So I need to sync these two documents, if possible.

I tried the "field" option, but I'm not shore that I understand exactly how
to make it work.

/Erik

macropod said:
Hi Erik,

You can link two documents together via INCLUDETEXT fields, so that any chnages to the source document are reflected in the
target
document. Plus, you can edit the source document's content from the target document and save the changes back to the source
document
via Ctrl-Shift-F7.

from the target document, you can bookmark all of what you do want to include, and refer to the bookmark in the INCLUDETEXT
field.

You may have to bookmark multiple ranges in the source document and use multiple INCLUDETEXT fields in the target document if
you've
got more than one range in the source document that needs to be linked - this might also be needed if you need to insert
additional,

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

Erik Lydecker said:
Hi,

Is it possible to sync two word docs?

Thanks!

Ask a Question