Is it a platter drive ?

Andy

I have a Toshiba 500 Gb external drive.

I am trying to determine if it is a platter drive.

When I hold my ear against it, I can hear humming.

Would a solid state drive do that ?

Paul in Houston TX

Andy said:
I have a Toshiba 500 Gb external drive.
I am trying to determine if it is a platter drive.
When I hold my ear against it, I can hear humming.
Would a solid state drive do that ?

SSD should be silent.
You may have their "hybrid drive".
$50 USD vs. several hundred $ for true 500 gb SSD.

R.Wieser

Andy,

Try towhen it runs, gently and slowly!, rotate it over the length axis of
the drive. Do the same with the drive powered down.

If it has platters rotating that way it will be just a bit harder than when
the drive is powerd down (gyroscopic effect)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

-- Origional message:

R.Wieser

.... ofcourse, looking up the specs of the drive on the internet would
probably tell you all you want to know too. :)

-- Origional message:

R.Wieser

David,
Solid State drives are silent as there are no moving parts and also
don't gedt warm.

So, why than do computer processors need those humongous cooling elements
(with most of them even needing fans to keep cool) ? I'm pretty sure there
are no moving parts in them. :)

*Any* electrical component which has current flowing thru it and where the
power terminals show a difference in voltage "consumes" power, and therefore
generates (among other things) heat. Even a simple piece of electrical
wire.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

-- Origional message:

Bob Willard

David,

So, why than do computer processors need those humongous cooling elements
(with most of them even needing fans to keep cool) ? I'm pretty sure there
are no moving parts in them. :)

SSDs typically use a few Watts. CPUs typically use a few tens of Watts.

Maybe, just maybe, that's why CPUs need heatsinks and SSDs don't.

Buffalo

"Bill in Co" wrote in message
Actually, "difference in voltage" seems a bit misleading, as voltage itself
is defined as a potential difference between two points. So a better way
to state this would be that any component that has a voltage applied and
draws some current consumes some power. :) (and if either one of these
is zero, no power is being used)
Without a voltage 'difference', there will be no power or current flow.
Yes, I know: E=IR
:)

Buffalo

From: "Bill in Co said:
Actually, "difference in voltage" seems a bit misleading, as voltage
itself is defined as a potential difference between two points. So a
better way to state this would be that any component that has a voltage
applied and draws some current consumes some power. :) (and if
either one of these is zero, no power is being used)

That's not entirely true as power consumption is based upon resistance or
phaser impendance.

If I have 1 amp going across a conductor of 1 ohm it will consume 1 watt
I^2*R or 1*1*1 = 1watt. If I put that conductor in a zero degree Kelvin
environment then the resistance of the wire drops to zero and the power
consumption drops to zero ( 1*1*0 = 0 watt ) [ It is actually an asymptotic
function ].

Properly stated, any component that has resistance/impedance to a flow of
current consumes some power. Power consumption drops as a function of
lowering the resistance/impedance of a component or conductor.
No, if the resistance of the conductor drops to 0 and the voltage is the
same, the current flow will dramatically increase, just like a short
circuit.

Paul

Andy said:
I have a Toshiba 500 Gb external drive.

I am trying to determine if it is a platter drive.

When I hold my ear against it, I can hear humming.

Would a solid state drive do that ?

Using a benchmark software, do a seek time test.
On HDTune, they measure seek time after the main
benchmark run is done. These would be the numbers
a home user might see, on commodity equipment.

Spinning drive - 12 milliseconds (pretty well any interconnect)
SSD over USB2 - 1 millisecond
SSD over USB3 - (a little lower)
SSD over SATA - 0.1 millisecond (lower limit 0.020 milliseconds)

There is sufficient difference between "spinning drive"
and all the rest, to tell the difference. Even if you
retort with "your numbers are wrong for 15K drives",
I would reply you can still tell the difference between
the hard drive full stroke seek and the SSD. It should
be an observable difference. The spinning drive cannot
get close to the 1 millisecond number, if the head is
made to move any appreciable difference. You'd have to
cheat and do "head switch" benchmarks to get even close.
A head switch might get close to a millisecond.

*******

The table of SMART statistics coming from an SSD,
is also different than the table from a spinning drive.
But not all interconnect methods guarantee access to
SMART.

So the seek time test will have to do. Because
it might be harder for a user to figure out how
to access SMART.

*******

SSD power consumption covers a wide range. SSDs with
a Sandforce controller, compress the data, and the peak
power when doing so, will be higher than on competing
SSDs. And we can't even be sure the various SSD
makers are comparing power numbers for matching
test conditions (comparing a "sleep" number to
an average or a peak write number). All I can suggest
is, the Sandforce based one might be "lukewarm",
while the others are "ice cold". As an approximate metric.

SSD drives are working, even when you're not reading
or writing them. They can be busy working on the flash
chips. After a "4K random read/write test" has been
carried out (see a review site), the poor SSD may end
up doing maintenance on the drive, all night long. In order
for the drive performance level to be "normal" the next
day. If your SSD drive is not abused, it will have little
maintenance to do.

When a hard drive is idle, it doesn't work nearly as hard.
The only maintenance it might run, is a SMART test once in
a while (to detect imminent failure).

Some server drives, do a "burst read" every 71 seconds, which
apparently makes an annoying audible sound. The commodity
disk drives in your desktop computer, don't do that particular
test. It's not clear to me, what benefit such a test provides,
other than to keep IT staff awake :)

Paul

R.Wieser

Bob,
SSDs typically use a few Watts. CPUs typically use a few tens of Watts.

That was not the reason given for SSDs not getting warm. :)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

-- Origional message

R.Wieser

David,
Basically the act of storing data is fairly static.

Nice explanation. No word about those "no moving parts" you claimed before.
:)

Reading your current story (noticing you actually do know your electronics)
I'm going to guess you made a boo-boo (tired?) or where simply trolling.
So right there a spindle drive will consume a fixed amount of power
just to rotate the platters

After startup ? Yes. And it depends on the drives friction how much that
is. For example, there are drives that will work on the power a basic v2.0
USB port can deliver, which IIRC does not go over 2.5 Watts.

I have no idea what an SSD uses. Worse, there probably are as many
different ones all having different power consumptions as there are spindel
drives. Determining the kind of drive based on the emitted heat (as felt
by a hand coming into contact with the drive) would probably be ...
difficult.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

-- Origional message:

R.Wieser

Billy,
Actually, "difference in voltage" seems a bit misleading, as voltage
itself is defined as a potential difference between two points

Are you telling me that "Zero voltage" volts doesn't exist ? <huh>

My description was aimed ot excluding that particular situation, so that
nobody could come back with "but with a zero volts difference there can be
no current and thus no heat" statement (which is absolutily correct, but has
nothing to do with the problem).

Alas, you found something else to stumble over :p :)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

-- Origional message

R.Wieser

Are you telling me that "Zero voltage" volts doesn't exist ? <huh>

Scratch that superfluous "volts" in the above please. Thats what you get
when you do not do not read your own editing too closely. :-\

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

-- Origional message:

Andy

Scratch that superfluous "volts" in the above please. Thats what you get
when you do not do not read your own editing too closely. :-\

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

-- Origional message:

I found out I have a TOSHIBA model # MQ01ABD050.

It's a very quiet drive.

Linux is not as thorough as Windows is about identifying more details about the hardware.

R.Wieser

Andy,

When I plug "TOSHIBA MQ01ABD050" into Google most results seem to indicate
its a 5400 RPM drive (500 GB, 2.5 inch). And as SSDs do not normally rotate
at that speed I'm going on a limb and conclude your drive must be a
"platter" type one. :)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

-- Origional message:

Nil

When I plug "TOSHIBA MQ01ABD050" into Google most results seem to
indicate its a 5400 RPM drive (500 GB, 2.5 inch). And as SSDs do
not normally rotate at that speed I'm going on a limb and conclude
your drive must be a "platter" type one. :)

Hmmm... how fast can a ballet dancer pirouette? Maybe 2 RPM? If she had
an SSD drive stuffed into her tutu, I guess that would be its
rotational speed.

I'm not in a position to test it right now.

R.Wieser

Nil,
If she had an SSD drive stuffed into her tutu, I guess that would
be its rotational speed.

I wonder, if you would do the same with a spindel-type drive, do you need to
add that 2Hz rotation, or subtract it. Or do we need to note it down as a
"phase shift" kind of thing ?

Heck bub, you're making my *head* spin ! :)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser.

-- Origional message:

Buffalo

"R.Wieser" wrote in message
Nil,

I wonder, if you would do the same with a spindel-type drive, do you need
add that 2Hz rotation, or subtract it. Or do we need to note it down as a
"phase shift" kind of thing ?

Heck bub, you're making my *head* spin ! :)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser.
I would think that the gyroscopic effect could change all those parameters,
esp if it was in her tutu. :)

Andy

"R.Wieser" wrote in message

I would think that the gyroscopic effect could change all those parameters,
esp if it was in her tutu. :)

I read some interesting facts about SSDs.

Like if it loses power once, the hard drive can go nite-nite.

Most folks do not use a backup power supply, so SSD failure is not a question of if, but when.

They are faster and supposedly you can drop them.

Traditional hard drives have almost-unlimited write cycles, meaning that data can be erased and written over and over, but SSDs write cycles are more limited.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/list_5990039_advantages-disadvantages-ssd-hard-drives_.html

Andy