Windows XP iPod Movies and games

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have an iPod 30Gb video model, purchased last April.

I'd been looking for a way to play DVD movies on it, which basically meant converting DVD vob files to mpeg 4 files.

For the last couple of weeks I've tried lots and lots of ways to do this, trial software, free software including Smart Ripper and Flaskmpeg, paid software such as imToo decoder, none of them have been satisfactory.

I used the official DivX converter on 30 day trial, worked well as long as you didn't mind the 'divx' file extension, but I wanted mpeg4. Changing file extension, it wouldn't open in any media player or iPod at all. Using imToo decoder to convert DivX to mpeg worked, but on the movie Pulp Fiction the sound was very low.

It also wouldn't convert any movie that was originally issued in NTSC format, as opposed to PAL.

The imToo video converter converted all captured video (VCR) footage from mpeg2 to mpeg 4 ok, no problem, it was DVD vob files I was having a problem with.

So, despairing, I'd noticed there was some specific software dedicated to ripping DVD's to mpeg4 files, specially for the iPod, on sale at PC World. It cost £30.00.

Hmm, expensive. But, so fed up was I with being frustrated at trying loads of methods, I thought I'd buy it and try it.

I got there 6pm today, it had been reduced to £20.00. Cool. When I paid at till, I was only charged £10.00. Even cooler :cool:

The software works. It took about one hour to convert a backup DVD of Kill Bill to a 328Mb file that plays perfectly on the iPod and sounds great as well. One movie = 328Mb for the iPod is good.

The software is called DVD2Pod and is published by BVRP. A Link

Note that if any anti-piracy encoding is present on a movie DVD, this software won't work, it will only work when there is no encryption.

The software also only works within Windows.

DVD Shrink can enable un-encrypted backup of your legally purchased movie DVD's, do a Google. I believe DVD2Pod will work from a folder on your hard disk as well, though I haven't tried it yet.

On another subject, the iTunes store are now selling about six simple video games for the video iPod, most are £3.99 each. Well for that price I had to try one, I went for the mini golf, it's great :)

Nice graphics, simple controls, good gameplay and great sounds. They also have Tetris, Pacman and I think I'm going to try the one called Vortex.

And no, I'm not being paid to plug products, simply letting you know about stuff that works and stuff that is good :)

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp,

Do you have Nero Burning ROM? That can convert videos to iPod, I used it a little while ago to put some stuff on a mate's Video iPod.

P.S. I didn't think the forum liked illegal stuff
wink.gif

And yes, it is illegal, even if for your own use and your own DVDs.

Unless you own the copyright, that is.

And, blatantly, the only purpose DVD Shrink has is to decrypt CSS.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Electronics & Photo Fan said:
floppybootstomp,

Do you have Nero Burning ROM? That can convert videos to iPod, I used it a little while ago to put some stuff on a mate's Video iPod.

Yes, I do. Version Six OEM with (legally paid for) Video plug in, cost me £15.00, the plug in, which was £12.00 more than the legal OEM version of Nero :confused:

P.S. I didn't think the forum liked illegal stuff
wink.gif

We don't. But DVD Shrink has been around for about three years now and it hasn't been closed down or painted as illegal. Whether this is an oversight or a reluctance to prosecute by the copyright powers that be, I know not. But DVD Shrink is mentioned by 100's of forums the whole world over and not one of them, to my knowledge, has been threatened with legal action.

And yes, it is illegal, even if for your own use and your own DVDs.

Unless you own the copyright, that is.

A debatable point, but I guess, strictly speaking, you may be right.

And, blatantly, the only purpose DVD Shrink has is to decrypt CSS.

I disagree. Note the word 'Shrink'. It shrinks files, makes them more manageable. And yes, it does remove copyright encryption. But, last time I looked, UK law stated that it was legal to make backup copies of legally purchased software, games and movies.

But, it is a grey area, I'll grant you that.

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Quote: From the UKCDR (U.K. Capaign For Digital Rights)

"In particular, note that there is no general right of private copying in UK law, even for "media shifting". Since making any copy is an infringing act unless specifically exempted, and the only exemptions made are those listed above, private copies of a work such as copies of CD tracks in MP3 format on a PC are infringing copies. In fact, even the copies of copyright materials in an internet service provider's web cache are infringing copies, though the making of temporary copies such as these is to be permitted under the new European Union Copyright Directive. (It is not anticipated that temporary copies exemption will apply to "ripped" copies of CD tracks stored on a PC or portable MP3 player.)"

I feel very strongly about this; especially about the corrupt audio CDs which now all of the CD manufacturers are selling that won't play in PCs (Philips even has tried to make the record labels stop calling them CDs becasue they don't conform to Red Book standard). I analogue rip all BMG, Sony and EMI discs using an audio lead now. But, I suppose the corrupt CD issue isn't for this thread.

But, it is ridiculous, because all MP3 players rely on media shifting software such as iTunes etc. and so yes, I would consider it a grey area too. Stated as illegal, yet commercial companies can make money out of it anyway. Typical.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thinking more on this, I've always used Nero to burn captured video footage, it's rather excellent at that.

I didn't realise it would transcribe an unencrypted DVD to a compressed mpeg4 file.

I would really apreciate it, Electronics & Photo Fan, if you could give a brief description of how to do this. Thanks :)

And will Nero reduce a movie to 328Mb as DVD2Pod does? The reduced file size probably reflects the fact that an iPod screen, about 25mm/2" across, doesn't really need that high a resolution to look good.

Right now, I be doing Pulp Fiction again using new software. Nothing like a lil Puulp fiction when communting between Greenwich and London Bridge Station :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh, you posted in between.

Yes, I know about the corrupted audio CD's, I have now blacklisted anything Sony. Anything. Sony suck, imo :)

I hook up a quality CD player to the PC sometimes, resulting files, nobody, yet, has noticed the difference...

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
You say you have Nero with Video Plug-in. Is that the Nero Digital Plug-in? Because if you have that, then you can use Nero Recode (which I believe is part of that package) to do this. If you don't have the Recode element, then I think it's possible using Nero Vision Express. Usually you get one or the other, or both.

It was about a year ago, so I'll have a play with it and see if I can get it to work.

P.S. I know I changed the resolution to 320X288, because of the size of the screen being small.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hey, we're too close with posting times, lol :lol:

Tomorrow, I'll mess with Nero. The plug in I bought enabled everything in Vision Express. A really excellent program, Nero, always has been :)

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
I agree, Nero has served me well ever since I got a bundled 5.5 with my first CD writer (back in '02).

Not so many bells and whistles then, though.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
flopps you can change the .divx extension to .avi and they'll still work, not sure on what sort of size it'll be though

Ask a Question