Ipod help and advice

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Got me one of these Ipod Nano's for me Burpday which is coming up and wondered what would be the best way of using it, would boycotting itunes be an idea or do you have to load that particular software up to be able to use your Ipod..

This baby also plays video so what would be the best software to use for converting movies onto the Nano, it plays mpeg 4 and various other formats..Its supposed to have a fantastic screen for video and movies...

Just wondering what users out there are using for their ipods and whether I can use my existing music collection in mp3 format or do I have to purchase through Itunes..

All help gratefully received..:thumb:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Im not sure about Itunes software, but im sure you can listen to MP3s on there at least (out of the box)
Also, are you sure you want to be staring at a very (very) small screen for a any lenght of time? You'll go crosseyed :D
Nontheless, they are nice :)

now be grateful :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Let's just say right up front:

1) I-Pods are great, they look good and sound absolutely great.

2) I-Pods don't have batteries you can swap out so if you're travelling and your battery dies, tough poop (unlike Creative Zens, which do have user replaceable batteries).

3) I-Tunes, in my opinion, is really crap software. There are SO many things they've overlooked, really lazy programming. Having said that, I-Tunes works, once you understand it and don't mind putting up with doing lots of things manually I-Tunes should have taken care of automatically.

4) There is alternative software available to take the place of I-Tunes, somebody posted here on this forum only recently of an alternative. Sorry, it's late, I am a little inebriated, can't remember to give you a link ;)

5) There is lots of software to convert movie files to a format for viewing on I-Pods, I have the I-Pod Video 30Gb model and have six whole movies and about ten music vids on mine. I use some software named 'DVD2Pod' which cost me a tenner from PC World, 3 clicks and it's done. it's good. Also check out 'Imtoo' on Google, I have two of their software apps, file to file conversion and a DVD movie to DivX app. They work well.

The movies are oddly enjoyable in such a small format, especially if you have a decent set of headphones. I bought my niece an 8Gb Nano for Xmas and bought her the same set of headphones I use, the Sennheisser PX200 which sound great; fold away into a small case and don't leak sounds out, which is handy if you're on a bus, train or tube, you want it loud and don't want to pox off your fellow travellers :)
PX 200 Link

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Thanks for that Flopp's...Wondered if you could remember that post with the non apple itunes software and could post it up for me if you have time, if not no worries mate..

Those px200's are nice aren't they I bought some ages ago when they were first reviewed on here by Annis..Have been brilliant ever since..:nod:

Alf that screen is supposedly very good for watching video's, I'll hold off until I get some on this thing and then let you know what I think of it...:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aha, This is what I was thinking of.

I haven't tried it myself and I'm not entirely sure it will suit, but worth checking out.

Ask a Question