iPhone 12

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I am tempted to get it and replace my current one which is iPhone 11, anybody else thinking of after watching the event today? ;)

Attachments

• iphone-12-family-select-2020.jpg
    iphone-12-family-select-2020.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 160

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What's the big difference since the last one? They're too far outside my price range, so haven't followed this launch much.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
What's the big difference since the last one? They're too far outside my price range, so haven't followed this launch much.

The main differences between iphone 11 and 12 are as follows:

Processor: A14 (5 nm) Bionic Chip with 50% faster GPU and CPU performance, while using 30% less power compared to A13 (7nm)

Connectivity: All four iPhones support 5G including mmWave

Display: Super Retina XDR OLED vs LCD on all models

Camera: Night mode and portrait mode enabled on both cameras and can now record in 10 bit HDR with Dolby Vision

Looks: According to Apple's measurements, the 6.1-inch iPhone 12 is 11% thinner, 15% smaller and 16% lighter than the 6.1-inch iPhone 11.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's quite a size/weight reduction! I'll have to take a look at one in the flesh :).

My girlfriend has an iPhone 11 and I do like the way it works, but I've been bitten by Apple a couple of times in the past, so I'm hesitant ever to go back.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I hope you are not expecting faster speeds with a iPhone 12.

So, what can you really expect in the States? I'll quote PC Magazine's comprehensive September 2020 speed test of the major wireless networks:

AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon take very different approaches to 5G. To make a long story short, AT&T 5G right now appears to be essentially worthless. T-Mobile 5G can be a big boost over 4G, but its speeds are only what we'd expect from a good 4G network—it isn't a new experience. Verizon's 5G is often mind-blowing, but very difficult to find.
In other words, if you want to buy an iPhone 12 to get faster speeds than you've ever seen before from a smartphone, you're wasting your money . You're also throwing your cash away if you want to get one today to "future-proof" your phone for 5G. By the time, if ever, 5G becomes truly valuable--again except for rural users--you'll be wanting to buy an iPhone 14 or 15.

5G is no reason to buy the iPhone 12 - or any phone

:cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Of all the mobile phones I've owned and used I liked an Apple phone best, I have to admit.

Main reason was it didn't confuse the hell outta me.

But - Built In Obsolescence and pricing make me give them a swerve.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Oh dear !!! You would think that these things would have been addressed before launch. Don't they do extensive testing nowadays?

The iphone 12 has brand new:

Screen (OLED)
modem (5G)
Design
Charging system
Cameras

Something was bound to go wrong.

More and more makers nowadays have less than necessary testing carried out, you see it affects their bottom line, they are now using the consumers as their guinea pigs, simple and effective.

I had bought the Blackberry phone back in 2007 which came with a micro usb cord. That cord was in use until just 2 years ago and is still there in perfect shape and not worn out. Now let's talk about the flagship Samsung phones that I bought every year since Galaxy S4 came out, the cords on them hardly lasted more than 3 months before breaking up and I went through scores of them. Pathetic to say the least. It is all about their bottom line.

Ask a Question