IPC with two .net applications

what's the best way to do inter- process communication between two .net
applications (one of them a non-interactive .net windows service) - given
that a rather high amount of data shall be transferred?

Best wishes,

Peter

Eugene Mayevski

Hello!
You wrote on Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:20:02 -0700:

PS> what's the best way to do inter- process communication between two .net
PS> applications (one of them a non-interactive .net windows service) -
PS> given that a rather high amount of data shall be transferred?

You can try MsgConnect ( http://www.eldos.com/msgconnect/ ) which offers
exactly what you need with MMF transport.

With best regards,
Eugene Mayevski

William Stacey [MVP]

..Net Remoting using the IPC channel is probably a good pick.

--
William Stacey [MVP]

| Hi,
|
| what's the best way to do inter- process communication between two .net
| applications (one of them a non-interactive .net windows service) - given
| that a rather high amount of data shall be transferred?
|
| Best wishes,
|
| Peter

Alexander Ogol

...and assuming using .NET Framework 2.0, in which IPC Remoting support was
added.
In other case (earlier framework) simplest method is to use Remoting with
tcp transport.
msdn recommends this way.

Alexander

William Stacey [MVP]

yes. If you can't use 2.0 and ipc, then tcp on loopback address would be
2nd best.

--
William Stacey [MVP]

| ..and assuming using .NET Framework 2.0, in which IPC Remoting support was
| added.
| In other case (earlier framework) simplest method is to use Remoting with
| tcp transport.
| msdn recommends this way.

hB

I would advice to avoid .Net Remoting and all that marshalling stuff.

:- TCP Sockets! (And you keep full controll, your primary purpose is
data transfer not remote method invocation, you do not depend on dotnet
version, you are not limited to use it on one pc or more)

Peter Schmitz said:
Hi,

what's the best way to do inter- process communication between two .net
applications (one of them a non-interactive .net windows service) - given
that a rather high amount of data shall be transferred?

Best wishes,

Peter

If both processes are running on the same PC, then using Windows messaging
SendMessageW and WM_COPYDATA performs quite well.

We offer a .NET component FREE for non-commercial use that does this:
http://www.mini-tools.com/goto/comm