ip address tweaking

G

OK 3 questions

1: Why does my normal ipconfig info show this "auto-configuration IP" thing every once in a while and its usually not releaseable? (this last time it was, but before I've have to disconnect the dsl-modem) It would appear to be something with my dsl-modem that merits a reset, but if thats the case why does it actually change the title of my ipaddress to "auto-configuration ip address"

2. Is there a program for windows to force a new IP from your cable or DSL service? I know that with a dedicated linux firewall/routing system you can do this if you know how. I REALLY need to do this, I get IP-banned from battlenet all the time and its really frustrating when I can't get back on and play

3. How can I get started with using proxies? I am willing to pay for this seemingly secret & hard to find information..

C

Chuck

OK 3 questions:

1: Why does my normal ipconfig info show this "auto-configuration IP" thing every once in a while and its usually not releaseable? (this last time it was, but before I've have to disconnect the dsl-modem) It would appear to be something with my dsl-modem that merits a reset, but if thats the case why does it actually change the title of my ipaddress to "auto-configuration ip address"?

2. Is there a program for windows to force a new IP from your cable or DSL service? I know that with a dedicated linux firewall/routing system you can do this if you know how. I REALLY need to do this, I get IP-banned from battlenet all the time and its really frustrating when I can't get back on and play.

3. How can I get started with using proxies? I am willing to pay for this seemingly secret & hard to find information...

Joe,

The "auto-configuration ip address" is an ip address that your computer issues
itself, when it can't be issued an actual address by an auto-configuration
(DHCP) server.

Each address, when issued by a DHCP server, comes with an expiration period.
The ip client on the client computer, when the address expires, has to then
contact the DHCP server again, and get the address renewed.

My guess is that your ip address is issued, then the DHCP server is busy or
overloaded, or your DSL modem has trouble connecting. When you computer needs
to renew the address, it doesn't get a response from the DHCP server, and issues
itself an auto-configuration address. That changes the title of the address.

Once you have an auto-configuration address, you lose connectivity with the net
(you're on a non-routable subnet), until you force a new address issue from the
DHCP server.

You can manually force a new address by "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig
/renew". If you are having trouble with your DHCP server, that's when you end
up with an auto-configuration address.

Please provide ipconfig information for your computer.
Start - Run - "cmd". Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the command
window - Open c:\ipconfig.txt in Notepad, copy and paste into your next post.
Identify operating system (by name and version) with the ipconfig listing.

By "proxies", do you mean a server program, running on your LAN, to share web
access? Or anonymising proxies, running on the internet, to anonymise your
identity?

If the former, there are no end of free proxy servers available from any
download website, such as CNet <http://www.download.com/?legacy=cnet>, or TUCows
<http://www.tucows.com/>. Just search for "proxy servers". I like Analogx
Proxy (free) from <http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm>.

If the latter, go to Google Groups <http://groups.google.com/>, and search for
"anonymising proxy". You will find plenty of discussion. Once you find some
discussion you can follow, access the newsgroup directly, and read the many
discussions in that group.

The information is out there. And it's free. You just have to find the useful
information. You've got a good start, coming here.

Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

G

Thankyou Chuck, yours is the most informative and helpful post I've seen on this newsgroup.
1) Thanks, I found a post from someone having the same problem and figured that out.

2) I already know a lot about release and renew, that wasn't the problem. I figured out that if I change my mac address my ISP thinks its a different computer and issues me a new ip, its a wonderful little trick!

3) Former: That sounds like a way to turn your PC into a router am I correct? I would need a special NIC with in and out for that wouldn't I? I have a router so setting up a LAN on one connection is no problem for me. Latter: I found a great site for free anonymous proxies, its www.aliveproxy.com but they are all very slow for playing games on, or perhaps its just the way Sockscap interacts with my game. At any rate the little trick I learned in #2 solves everything, thanks again Chuck.

C

Chuck

Thankyou Chuck, yours is the most informative and helpful post I've seen on this newsgroup.
1) Thanks, I found a post from someone having the same problem and figured that out.

2) I already know a lot about release and renew, that wasn't the problem. I figured out that if I change my mac address my ISP thinks its a different computer and issues me a new ip, its a wonderful little trick!

3) Former: That sounds like a way to turn your PC into a router am I correct? I would need a special NIC with in and out for that wouldn't I? I have a router so setting up a LAN on one connection is no problem for me. Latter: I found a great site for free anonymous proxies, its www.aliveproxy.com but they are all very slow for playing games on, or perhaps its just the way Sockscap interacts with my game. At any rate the little trick I learned in #2 solves everything, thanks again Chuck.

Thanks for the feedback, Joe, I hope all your many problems are now solved. If
not, post again.

Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Ask a Question