Invalid Product Key for Windows XP Pro, referred to newsgroup by MS Rep

case314159

Hello,

Goal Summary:
We are trying to install Windows XP Professional (New
Installation (Advanced)) on several OEM systems that are
currently running Windows 2000. Though we did purchase
Windows XP Professional with the systems, we installed our
retail version of Windows 2000 at that time.

Installation Synopsis:
We began the Windows XP Professional new installation.
When prompted for the Product Key, the original XP Product
Key on the Microsoft sticker of authenticity returned an
error message, "The Product ID which you entered is
invalid. Please try again."

We spoke with a Microsoft customer representative and gave
them my name, our phone number, and the original product
key. The rep verified that our Product Key was indeed OEM
and gave us three other Windows XP Professional product
keys to try (two OEM and one retail). All the additional
product keys failed with the same error message.

The Microsoft customer representative told us that they
are only allowed to generate three product keys a day and
that we should call back the following day to attempt
three more keys.

The following day, we spoke to a different rep and gave
them the same information. Unfortunately, they did not
give us three more product keys to try. Instead, we were
given two options. 1) Post in the newgroups and a
solution will be provided within 24 hours. 2) Pay $35 to
have Microsoft assess the problem. We were told by the
Microsoft customer representative that the invalid Product
Key is not a Microsoft problem. They told us to call the
OEM to resolve the issue.

Conclusion:
To save everyone from the grief we experienced, let us
just say we had to make multiple calls and were told we
should purchase the retail version of Windows XP
Professional to resolve the issue. So instead of opting
to spend more money on a product that is not currently
working or running on our systems, we hope someone here
can provide us with a proper solution.

Note, Microsoft will not generate an incident number for
us. They have our name and phone number, however a track
history is not being kept according to the representative,
though one can be generated.

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

What installation CD(s) are you using? You do need to be using
the original OEM installation CDs that came with the computers.
Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of CD/license
(OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are purchased.
For example, a WinXP Home OEM Product Key won't work for any retail
version of WinXP Home, or for any version of WinXP Pro, and vice
versa. An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with a full version
CD, and vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to install a
retail product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an English
CD. Product Keys and CDs cannot be mixed & matched.

You need to examine the Product Key very carefully. It's awfully
easy to mistake a "B" for an "8," a "G" for a "6," an "S" for a "5,"
or a "Q" for a "0" or "O." Fortunately, Microsoft had the good sense
to leave the "1's," "I's," "O's," and "0's" out of the equation.
Also, be sure that your CapsLock if _off_ while entering the Product
Key.

Troubleshooting Invalid CD Key Error Message During Windows XP Setup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310637

Essentially, though, you've no option but to contact the
computers' manufacturer for OEM license support. Microsoft provides
no free support for OEM versions. This would include such issues as a
lost/invalid Product Key or replacing damaged installation media. I
don't know how far this will get you, though, as you've very likely
voided your warranties on the PCs by replacing the original OS with
another.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:

having both at once. -- RAH

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Unless you are attempting to install Windows XP on a different, empty partition,
you should not be selecting "New Installation". An OEM version of Windows XP
cannot upgrade over an existing Windows installation....it must be installed on
a clean, reformatted partition. If you wish to "Upgrade" over Windows 2000,
then you'll need the "retail upgrade version" of Windows XP Professional.

Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

You stated that you "purchased Windows XP Professional with the systems".
If that is the case, the correct 25-character Product Key should be found on a
sticker somewhere on the computer case. That Product Key will only work
with the Windows XP CD the computer shipped with. It will not work with
any other installation CD. If you do not have the CD, contact the manufacturer
of the computer and request a replacement.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| Hello,
|
| Goal Summary:
| We are trying to install Windows XP Professional (New
| Installation (Advanced)) on several OEM systems that are
| currently running Windows 2000. Though we did purchase
| Windows XP Professional with the systems, we installed our
| retail version of Windows 2000 at that time.
|
| Installation Synopsis:
| We began the Windows XP Professional new installation.
| When prompted for the Product Key, the original XP Product
| Key on the Microsoft sticker of authenticity returned an
| error message, "The Product ID which you entered is
| invalid. Please try again."
|
| We spoke with a Microsoft customer representative and gave
| them my name, our phone number, and the original product
| key. The rep verified that our Product Key was indeed OEM
| and gave us three other Windows XP Professional product
| keys to try (two OEM and one retail). All the additional
| product keys failed with the same error message.
|
| The Microsoft customer representative told us that they
| are only allowed to generate three product keys a day and
| that we should call back the following day to attempt
| three more keys.
|
| The following day, we spoke to a different rep and gave
| them the same information. Unfortunately, they did not
| give us three more product keys to try. Instead, we were
| given two options. 1) Post in the newgroups and a
| solution will be provided within 24 hours. 2) Pay $35 to
| have Microsoft assess the problem. We were told by the
| Microsoft customer representative that the invalid Product
| Key is not a Microsoft problem. They told us to call the
| OEM to resolve the issue.
|
| Conclusion:
| To save everyone from the grief we experienced, let us
| just say we had to make multiple calls and were told we
| should purchase the retail version of Windows XP
| Professional to resolve the issue. So instead of opting
| to spend more money on a product that is not currently
| working or running on our systems, we hope someone here
| can provide us with a proper solution.
|
| Note, Microsoft will not generate an incident number for
| us. They have our name and phone number, however a track
| history is not being kept according to the representative,
| though one can be generated.

case314159

Bruce,

Thank you for the response.

We are using an OEM CD of Windows XP Professional, full
version. Whether this CD is the exact one for this
workstation is unknown. It is however, associated with the
OEM series that we have. I believe it should work since
the systems are identical.

Side note, when we try the original OEM product key with
the other types of licensing versions, the error message
reads differently (we also have XP Retail Full and XP
Retail Upgrade). It states the key is not for this
product. It is for XP Professional and not XP Home.

I also have a word or two for the person / committee that
chose that particular font to use on their authenticity
stickers. "B" and "8" are almost indistinguishable,
almost as hideous as "Q" and "O". I have also tried
various combinations of "B", "8", "G", and "6"s. Note,
their "D" can also be easily mistaken for "O" and "0".
You mentioned Microsoft left out "I", "1", "O", and "0",
so it should be safe to say I have "Q"s and "D"s.

Also tried CAPS LOCK _off_ and _on_ (the rep said to use
_on_) to no avail.

Carey,

Thank you for your response.

A1) We are not "upgrading from Windows 2000 Professional"
to XP Professional.

We want to install Windows XP Professional as a clean new
installation. According to the README.HTM in the CD,
section 2.1, what we are doing is correct. Step 1 states
to start your current OS and insert the installation CD.
Step 4 states to "Select New Installation". We do want to
install a new copy.

A2) As stated, in my first post, the original Product Key
that is being used is "the original XP Product Key on the

---------------------------------------------------------- ----------------

| Hello,
|
| Goal Summary:
| We are trying to install Windows XP Professional (New
| Installation (Advanced)) on several OEM systems that are
| currently running Windows 2000. Though we did purchase
| Windows XP Professional with the systems, we installed our
| retail version of Windows 2000 at that time.
|
| Installation Synopsis:
| We began the Windows XP Professional new installation.
| When prompted for the Product Key, the original XP Product
| Key on the Microsoft sticker of authenticity returned an
| error message, "The Product ID which you entered is
| invalid. Please try again."
|
| We spoke with a Microsoft customer representative and gave
| them my name, our phone number, and the original product
| key. The rep verified that our Product Key was indeed OEM
| and gave us three other Windows XP Professional product
| keys to try (two OEM and one retail). All the additional
| product keys failed with the same error message.
|
| The Microsoft customer representative told us that they
| are only allowed to generate three product keys a day and
| that we should call back the following day to attempt
| three more keys.
|
| The following day, we spoke to a different rep and gave
| them the same information. Unfortunately, they did not
| give us three more product keys to try. Instead, we were
| given two options. 1) Post in the newgroups and a
| solution will be provided within 24 hours. 2) Pay $35 to
| have Microsoft assess the problem. We were told by the
| Microsoft customer representative that the invalid Product
| Key is not a Microsoft problem. They told us to call the
| OEM to resolve the issue.
|
| Conclusion:
| To save everyone from the grief we experienced, let us
| just say we had to make multiple calls and were told we
| should purchase the retail version of Windows XP
| Professional to resolve the issue. So instead of opting
| to spend more money on a product that is not currently
| working or running on our systems, we hope someone here
| can provide us with a proper solution.
|
| Note, Microsoft will not generate an incident number for
| us. They have our name and phone number, however a track
| history is not being kept according to the representative,
| though one can be generated.
.

JAX

The way I understand your post, you are trying to install XP on multiple
machines from one licensed copy of XP, and then you are trying to use the
key that is already on the machines you are trying to install to. If this is
not the case, please ignore this post.

If this is the case, you will not be able to activate on the additional
installs. XP, and all other MS OS's, is one license to one machine. Read the
EULA. You will have to either buy a license for each machine or buy the
license that allows installation to multiple machines.

LOL, JAX

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Case314159,
Can you post PID= line from the setupp.ini file from the media that you are
attempting to install from. The setupp.ini file is located in the i386
folder..
It only contains a couple of lines, I just need the PID= line. This may
help me identify the media.
Depends on the OEM for the hardware as to whether it will install or not on
the series or whether it needs to be the exact model,, but it should not
stop at the product key if that was the issue.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| From: "case314159" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "case314159" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Invalid Product Key for Windows XP Pro, referred to
newsgroup by MS Rep
| Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:20:17 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| Bruce,
|
| Thank you for the response.
|
| We are using an OEM CD of Windows XP Professional, full
| version. Whether this CD is the exact one for this
| workstation is unknown. It is however, associated with the
| OEM series that we have. I believe it should work since
| the systems are identical.
|
| Side note, when we try the original OEM product key with
| the other types of licensing versions, the error message
| reads differently (we also have XP Retail Full and XP
| Retail Upgrade). It states the key is not for this
| product. It is for XP Professional and not XP Home.
|
| I also have a word or two for the person / committee that
| chose that particular font to use on their authenticity
| stickers. "B" and "8" are almost indistinguishable,
| almost as hideous as "Q" and "O". I have also tried
| various combinations of "B", "8", "G", and "6"s. Note,
| their "D" can also be easily mistaken for "O" and "0".
| You mentioned Microsoft left out "I", "1", "O", and "0",
| so it should be safe to say I have "Q"s and "D"s.
|
| Also tried CAPS LOCK _off_ and _on_ (the rep said to use
| _on_) to no avail.

Cerridwen

Carey,

Thank you for your response.

A1) We are not "upgrading from Windows 2000 Professional"
to XP Professional.

We want to install Windows XP Professional as a clean new
installation. According to the README.HTM in the CD,
section 2.1, what we are doing is correct. Step 1 states
to start your current OS and insert the installation CD.
Step 4 states to "Select New Installation". We do want to
install a new copy.

A2) As stated, in my first post, the original Product Key
that is being used is "the original XP Product Key on the
Microsoft sticker of authenticity returned an error
message"

You appear to be missing the point completely.

1) Microsoft will *NOT* support OEM licences - never has, never will.

2) By changing the OS from the one installed at the POS you have - almost
certainly - voided the warranty on the systems. Therefore, the manufacturer
isn't likely to assist you (well not free anyway)

3) You must use the disc that came with the computer to install (each
computer would have been provided with its own disc and you *MUST* use the
install XP on that system with its own disc).

4) The installation key is on the chassis somewhere - on a COA
hologrammic sticker.

Case314159

Darrell,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Here is the PID line from from the [Pid] section of
the /i386/setupp.ini:
Pid=55274OEM

Can you post PID= line from the setupp.ini file from the media that you are
attempting to install from. The setupp.ini file is located in the i386
folder..
It only contains a couple of lines, I just need the PID= line. This may
help me identify the media.
Depends on the OEM for the hardware as to whether it will install or not on
the series or whether it needs to be the exact model,, but it should not
stop at the product key if that was the issue.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| From: "case314159" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "case314159" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Invalid Product Key for Windows XP Pro, referred to
newsgroup by MS Rep
| Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:20:17 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| Bruce,
|
| Thank you for the response.
|
| We are using an OEM CD of Windows XP Professional, full
| version. Whether this CD is the exact one for this
| workstation is unknown. It is however, associated with the
| OEM series that we have. I believe it should work since
| the systems are identical.
|
| Side note, when we try the original OEM product key with
| the other types of licensing versions, the error message
| reads differently (we also have XP Retail Full and XP
| Retail Upgrade). It states the key is not for this
| product. It is for XP Professional and not XP Home.
|
| I also have a word or two for the person / committee that
| chose that particular font to use on their authenticity
| stickers. "B" and "8" are almost indistinguishable,
| almost as hideous as "Q" and "O". I have also tried
| various combinations of "B", "8", "G", and "6"s. Note,
| their "D" can also be easily mistaken for "O" and "0".
| You mentioned Microsoft left out "I", "1", "O", and "0",
| so it should be safe to say I have "Q"s and "D"s.
|
| Also tried CAPS LOCK _off_ and _on_ (the rep said to use
| _on_) to no avail.

.

case314159

Cerridwen,

Let me reiterate a few items as it seems to be a missed
point. I have an OEM Product Key and the OEM installation
CD for the system. The product key is from a Microsoft
sticker of authenticity found on the system (back panel of
chassis). It is a holographic sticker. A Microsoft
customer representative also verified that the product key
is OEM and legitimate.

So, should I not post in the Microsoft newsgroups even
though I was referred to post here by a Microsoft Support
Representative after talking back and forth with Microsoft
and the Manufacturer? I am just following further
instructions given to me by a Microsoft customer
representative.

As true as your statement might be about OEM support,
Microsoft should take some responsibility in supporting
it's product, regardless. Microsoft makes a marginal
profit from OEMs. A margin of support should be
complimented.

The system is near two years old. We have a maintenance
contract with the manufacturer. We also verified with the
OEM before changing the OS in the beginning to insure the
warranty would not be void.

case314159

Jax,

This is not the case but thank you for your response.

We have six computers, each with their very own COA OEM
Product Key for Windows XP Professional (full version).
We also have six retail Product Key of Windows 2000 (full
version).

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Case314159,
That does check out to be an OEM Windows XP Professional Full product ( not
upgrade copy).
How are you starting setup? Are you running Winnt32 or booting from the CD?
If you are running Winnt32, from what OS are you starting it from? Is it
from OEM Windows 2000 or something else?
Have you tried booting to the cd, running setup, and seeing if that allows
you to enter the product key?

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| From: "Case314159" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Case314159" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Invalid Product Key for Windows XP Pro, referred to
newsgroup by MS Rep
| Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:33:33 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| Darrell,
|
| Sorry for the delayed reply.
|
| Here is the PID line from from the [Pid] section of
| the /i386/setupp.ini:
| Pid=55274OEM

| >|
| >| Thank you for the response.
| >|
| >| We are using an OEM CD of Windows XP Professional, full
| >| version. Whether this CD is the exact one for this
| >| workstation is unknown. It is however, associated with
| the
| >| OEM series that we have. I believe it should work
| since
| >| the systems are identical.
| >|
| >| Side note, when we try the original OEM product key
| with
| >| the other types of licensing versions, the error
| message
| >| reads differently (we also have XP Retail Full and XP
| >| Retail Upgrade). It states the key is not for this
| >| product. It is for XP Professional and not XP Home.
| >|
| >| I also have a word or two for the person / committee
| that
| >| chose that particular font to use on their authenticity
| >| stickers. "B" and "8" are almost indistinguishable,
| >| almost as hideous as "Q" and "O". I have also tried
| >| various combinations of "B", "8", "G", and "6"s. Note,
| >| their "D" can also be easily mistaken for "O" and "0".
| >| You mentioned Microsoft left out "I", "1", "O",
| and "0",
| >| so it should be safe to say I have "Q"s and "D"s.
| >|
| >| Also tried CAPS LOCK _off_ and _on_ (the rep said to
| use
| >| _on_) to no avail.
| >|

| >|