Internet program properties set at Windows 95

G

I had alot of trouble downloading my Windows Updates, to a Dell Dimension 2400. It took 5 tries, and then when it was successful, to get my updates, it took twice as long to do as it should have.
I went into Windows Updates Properties, and noticed that the tab marked Compatibility was set to Windows 95. All of my programs having anything to do with the internet, have their properties / compatibility set to Windows 95
This doesn't seem right to me, since I have the XP operating system. It seems to me, that the problem with the update downloads are connected to this Windows 95 compatibility.
I'm not as technical with computer jargon, and I really want to understand what is happening, and how to fix it, if possible. Now, I did call Dell, where I got this computer, and they said, that Windows 95 is set for compatibility, as it is the base operating system that other programs were built on. This explaination doesn't seem right to me.

W

Wesley Vogel

Idona;

Sounds to me like your Dell guy is stuck in 1995
or a bonehead or both.
==============

Acessed by right clicking the Windows Update shortcut
on the Start Menu.
%SystemRoot%\system32\wupdmgr.exe

My Windows Update Properties | Compatibility tab |
Says: [[Compatibility modes cannot be set on this program
because it is part of Windows XP]]