Internet Explorer and Open/Save Function Hangs

When I open internet explorer and use the drop down window from the address
bar it hangs for several minutes before it does respond. Also, when using ANY
application and I save or open a file it also hangs for several minutes
before it responds. Both of these conditions only happen the first time, not
on subsequent re-uses of the function. It is as if a 2 minute delay is built
in. Also if I try to exit the program instead of waiting on it I get a
application not responding error message. Any and all advise is welcome at
this stage.

Also...I've been in contact with Dell about this with no luck...and I've done
all of the updates and suggestions from the Microsoft error submissions
response page.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Some housecleaning might help. Clear out the Temporary Internet Files and
History. See instructions at http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm Also,
clearing out the Windows Temp folder wouldn't hurt. More housecleaning tips
at "Take Out the Trash" at http://www.aumha.org/a/health.htm

Next... Malware (adware, spyware, parasites, etc) is a good possibility. No
one program can remove all malware. Start by downloading and running
CWShredder, Ad-aware and Spybot. Check for updates before running Ad-aware
or Spybot.
See: http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Also note the security tips and other important information on that page.

Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

If unsuccessful with those programs, you may have to post a HijackThis log
for analysis. Start at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 Then go to
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm Work through the preliminary cleaning
steps then post a HijackThis log to the forum at

Be patient. It's a busy forum.

HijackThis logs are also analyzed at these (and other) forums. Look for the
proper forum and an "Important- Read This First" message so that you follow
proper procedure.
http://castlecops.com/forums.html
http://tomcoyote.com/forums/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
http://forum.iamnotageek.com/index.php
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"JRJ" wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...

I've deleted history so many times and nothing changes. Again the problem
affects not only IE but applications such as Word, Excel, MS Project, Visual
Studio C++, anything that has an open/save function. It all "works", as long
as I'm willing to wait on the "built in delay" of about 2 minutes. Anything
that has a list that has to populate will hang for about 2 minutes before it
populates. That includes IE address bar pop up window.

Sandi Hardmeier - MVP

Hi,

MS products only? Any non-MS software on the system? Then something else is
going on; my first thought was a pstore problem, but I'm not sure that it is
even involved in the process you mention... pstore is involved with
encrypted data...

What other programmes are running? I'd try disabling all (excluding
firewall) then see if the problem goes away. If it does, re-enable one at a
time to see if you can spot what's causing the problem.

Sandi's Site has changed - for instructions on how to
find old URLs, go here:
http://msmvps.com/spywaresucks/archive/2005/05/14/46971.aspx

Hyperlinks used to ensure advice is current
Sandi - Microsoft MVP since 1999
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org

I've worked through all of the house keeping that you suggested. I am waiting
on a response from my hijackthis log that I posted on SpyWare Beware.
Although the overall performance seems to be improved the problem still
exist. By the way, no spyware or malware has been detected so far...