Internet Browsing Impeeded

Charlie Hill

Users on a Windows 2000 TS are having trouble browsing the
Internet. For example, Successfully they can browse to
www.msn.com. They can not browse the "Sports By Fox
Sports" link located on this page. "Page can not be
displayed" is the error reported. It is a "Can not find
server or DNS" error. Users can successfully browse to a
bank's web site, but the bank transaction pop-up windows
are blank.

I suspect this is a permission's problem. Domain admins,
and users promoted to admins, can successfully browse
every page. Only users assigned to Domain User or User
groups can not browse.

This is a relatively new problem, first reported at the
end of July. At first the 6 hot fixes issued on 7/13/04
were suspected as causing this situation. Hot fixes
841873, 839645, 841872, 841873, 842526, and 840315 all
have been uninstalled. These uninstalls did not help, they
just made me more nervous.

There is no Internet filtering or firewall software
installed on the server.

AdThanksVance

Jack Wang [MSFT]

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for posting and sorry for the delay.

After reading your message, I found that this seems a IE issue. Policies
are not used to prevent the user from using some web pages. I would like to
suggest you use Windows Explorer to surfing the Internet instead of using
IE. If it works fne, I think the issue may be related with IE plugins. Some
IE plugin may need administrator privilege. Please refer to the following
method to clean them.

1. Open Windows Explorer and find the C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\PLUGINS folder.

2. Create a new folder on the desktop and move all the plug-ins in the
PLUGINS
folder to the new folder.

3. Open Internet Explorer.

4. Click Tools and select Internet Options.

5. On the General tab, click Delete Files within the Temporary Internet
files section.

6. Select the Delete all offline content check box, click OK.

7. Click Delete Cookies, and click OK.

8. Click Clear History within the History section, click Yes.

9. Click the Advanced tab and uncheck Enable third-party browser
extensions.

10. Click OK.

11. Remove registry keys.

Step 1: Backup the Registry of the computer.

a) Click Start and select Run.

b) Type regedit in Open box and click OK.

c) Click File and select Export.

d) Below Export range select All.

e) Select Desktop in Save in box and type backup in File Name.

f) Click Save.

Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg.

Step 2: Find and delete the following registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browse
Helper Objects

Step 3: Find and delete the all the sub keys in the following registry key
(don't
delete the following registry key).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Plugins\Extension

Step 4: Restart the computer.

If the issue still exists, please confirm if the issue still exists when
the normal user logs on to the Terminal Server computer locally.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Jack Wang, MCSE 2000/2003, MCSA 2000/2003, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

| From: "Charlie Hill" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Charlie Hill" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Internet Browsing Impeeded
| Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:05:50 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps
|
| Users on a Windows 2000 TS are having trouble browsing the
| Internet. For example, Successfully they can browse to
| www.msn.com. They can not browse the "Sports By Fox
| Sports" link located on this page. "Page can not be
| displayed" is the error reported. It is a "Can not find
| server or DNS" error. Users can successfully browse to a
| bank's web site, but the bank transaction pop-up windows
| are blank.
|
| I suspect this is a permission's problem. Domain admins,
| and users promoted to admins, can successfully browse
| every page. Only users assigned to Domain User or User
| groups can not browse.
|
| This is a relatively new problem, first reported at the
| end of July. At first the 6 hot fixes issued on 7/13/04
| were suspected as causing this situation. Hot fixes
| 841873, 839645, 841872, 841873, 842526, and 840315 all
| have been uninstalled. These uninstalls did not help, they
| just made me more nervous.
|
| There is no Internet filtering or firewall software
| installed on the server.
|
| AdThanksVance

Your suggestions did not remedy the situation. Although,
the situation has changed slightly. I as the
administrator can not browse to the same sites my users
are having trouble connecting.

More suggestions would be welcomed.

c.
[...]

confers no rights.
..

Jack Wang [MSFT]

Hi

Thank you for the update!

I am not sure if you have followed my suggestion. Since the IE issue may
affect any user, I suggest we clean the plugins and extensions to try
again. Also, please collect the following information to me. I appreciate
your time.

1. Have you tried the Windows Explorer? What is the result?

2. Please check if the issue still exists after you clean the IE plugins
and extensions.

3. Do you use ISA Server, Proxy Server or router?

4. Please uninstall the anti-virus program, firewall program and other spy
ware programs and try again.

Sincerely,
Jack Wang, MCSE 2000/2003, MCSA 2000/2003, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

| From: <[email protected]>
| Sender: <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Internet Browsing Impeeded
| Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:25:08 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps
|
| Your suggestions did not remedy the situation. Although,
| the situation has changed slightly. I as the
| administrator can not browse to the same sites my users
| are having trouble connecting.
|
| More suggestions would be welcomed.
|
| c.

Every instruction was followed. There was only one plug-
in in the plug in folder. It was the Adobe reader plug
in. There were two entries in the registry under the
browser helper folder. Alas, i did not write down their
number. The server was rebooted.

1. Windows explorer was tested. The results were the same
as browsing with Internet Explorer. For example, the Fox
sports net link on www.msn.could not be opened.
2. Issue sill exists after plug-ins were removed. Tried
to browse via a terminal session, and from the console.
3. Using Symantec Antivirus client, v8 as the antivirus
program.
4. Spybot is installed, but it was installed after this
situation started. It was one of the attempts made to
rectify this situation.
5. There is no firewall installed. Firewall is maintained
by service provider. No other computer in WAN is
experiencing this difficulty.

I will not be able to uninstall the antivirus program
until this weekend. Any other suggestions between now and
them?

I have another situation with the terminal server, Users
can not paste files int their session.
This issue will be a new post here. (new posting alias =
(e-mail address removed))

Jack Wang [MSFT]

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for the reply.

I found that the issue may be related with the scripting. Please refer to
the folowing links to download and install Windows Script and Java VM.

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c717d943-7e4b-4622-
86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en

http://www.java.com/en/index.jsp

Also, you may re-register the URLMON.DLL file.

1. Click Start, click Run, type the following command in the Open box:

Regsvr32 URLMON.DLL

Notes:
1). There is a space letter between Regsvr32 and URLMON.DLL.

2. Click OK.

After the "DllRegisterServer in URLMON.DLL succeeded" message pops up, we
then check to see if the problem exists in IE.

If the issue still exists, please reinstall IE 6 SP1 from the link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.mspx

In addition, in order to get managed support for your issues, please be
sure to post
using your TechNet posting alias ONLY: (e-mail address removed) so that we
are flagged to look at your issues.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this!

Please let us know if you experience any problem while making a post using
your TechNet posting alias.

Sincerely,
Jack Wang, MCSE 2000/2003, MCSA 2000/2003, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

| From: <[email protected]>
| Sender: <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Internet Browsing Impeeded
| Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:41:59 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps
|
| Every instruction was followed. There was only one plug-
| in in the plug in folder. It was the Adobe reader plug
| in. There were two entries in the registry under the
| browser helper folder. Alas, i did not write down their
| number. The server was rebooted.
|
| 1. Windows explorer was tested. The results were the same
| as browsing with Internet Explorer. For example, the Fox
| sports net link on www.msn.could not be opened.
| 2. Issue sill exists after plug-ins were removed. Tried
| to browse via a terminal session, and from the console.
| 3. Using Symantec Antivirus client, v8 as the antivirus
| program.
| 4. Spybot is installed, but it was installed after this
| situation started. It was one of the attempts made to
| rectify this situation.
| 5. There is no firewall installed. Firewall is maintained
| by service provider. No other computer in WAN is
| experiencing this difficulty.
|
| I will not be able to uninstall the antivirus program
| until this weekend. Any other suggestions between now and
| them?
|
| I have another situation with the terminal server, Users
| can not paste files int their session.
| This issue will be a new post here. (new posting alias =
| (e-mail address removed))

| >|
| >| Your suggestions did not remedy the situation.
| Although,
| >| the situation has changed slightly. I as the
| >| administrator can not browse to the same sites my users
| >| are having trouble connecting.
| >|
| >| More suggestions would be welcomed.
| >|
| >| c.
| >|

| >|

| >.

Jack Wang [MSFT]

Hi Charlie,

One thing to add, please check if you could open the following URL directly
for Sports By Fox Sports.

http://msn.foxsports.com/

You may also capture a screen shot of the result to me so that I can
understand the issue clearly.

To capture a screen shot, please follow the steps below:

Step 1: When the error message appears, press the Pr Scrn key located at
the
top-right corner of the keyboard to capture a screen shot.

Step 2: Click Start, select Run, type MSPAINT in the Open box, and then
click OK.

Step 3: Use Ctrl + V to paste the screen shot to the canvas. When we are
prompted
to enlarge the bitmap, press Y or Enter.

Step 4: Click the File (or press Alt+ F) menu and select Save.

Step 5: Select Desktop in the 'Save in' box and type 'screen' in the File
name
box.

Step 6: Select JPEG in the Save as type box and click OK.

The screen shot is located on the Desktop and named screen.jpg. Please send
it to (e-mail address removed).

Sincerely,
Jack Wang, MCSE 2000/2003, MCSA 2000/2003, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Jack Wang [MSFT])
| Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 05:38:44 GMT
| Subject: RE: Internet Browsing Impeeded
|
| Hi Charlie,
|
| Thank you for the reply.
|
| I found that the issue may be related with the scripting. Please refer to
| the folowing links to download and install Windows Script and Java VM.
|
| Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c717d943-7e4b-4622-
| 86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en
|
| http://www.java.com/en/index.jsp
|
| Also, you may re-register the URLMON.DLL file.
|
| 1. Click Start, click Run, type the following command in the Open box:
|
| Regsvr32 URLMON.DLL
|
| Notes:
| 1). There is a space letter between Regsvr32 and URLMON.DLL.
|
| 2. Click OK.
|
| After the "DllRegisterServer in URLMON.DLL succeeded" message pops up, we
| then check to see if the problem exists in IE.
|
| If the issue still exists, please reinstall IE 6 SP1 from the link below.
|
| http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.mspx
|
| In addition, in order to get managed support for your issues, please be
| sure to post
| using your TechNet posting alias ONLY: (e-mail address removed) so that
we
| are flagged to look at your issues.
|
| We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this!
|
| Please let us know if you experience any problem while making a post
using
| your TechNet posting alias.
|
| Sincerely,
| Jack Wang, MCSE 2000/2003, MCSA 2000/2003, MCDBA, MCSD
| Microsoft Online Partner Support
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
|
| =====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
| your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
| from your issue.
| =====================================================

rights.
| --------------------
| | From: <[email protected]>
| | Sender: <[email protected]>
| | Subject: RE: Internet Browsing Impeeded
| | Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:41:59 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps
| |
| | Every instruction was followed. There was only one plug-
| | in in the plug in folder. It was the Adobe reader plug
| | in. There were two entries in the registry under the
| | browser helper folder. Alas, i did not write down their
| | number. The server was rebooted.
| |
| | 1. Windows explorer was tested. The results were the same
| | as browsing with Internet Explorer. For example, the Fox
| | sports net link on www.msn.could not be opened.
| | 2. Issue sill exists after plug-ins were removed. Tried
| | to browse via a terminal session, and from the console.
| | 3. Using Symantec Antivirus client, v8 as the antivirus
| | program.
| | 4. Spybot is installed, but it was installed after this
| | situation started. It was one of the attempts made to
| | rectify this situation.
| | 5. There is no firewall installed. Firewall is maintained
| | by service provider. No other computer in WAN is
| | experiencing this difficulty.
| |
| | I will not be able to uninstall the antivirus program
| | until this weekend. Any other suggestions between now and
| | them?
| |
| | I have another situation with the terminal server, Users
| | can not paste files int their session.
| | This issue will be a new post here. (new posting alias =
| | (e-mail address removed))

| | >|
| | Although,
| | >|