Intel's 875P "Canterwood" & 800MHz FSB P4

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
[H]ardOCP look at the new i875P Canterwood chipset and the Dual Channel DDR400 that it brings with it. And of course they show off the 800MHz Front Side Bus and one of the Pentium 4s built to do it.

We know one thing for sure. It is hard to point at any one particular aspect of a Canterwood system and herald it as the saving grace. When you put together the entire package consisting of FSB, Clock, Memory Bandwidth, and Features, the i875P with an 800MHz FSB CPU is going to be terribly hard to beat with any combination from VIA, SiS, NVIDIA, or AMD. Any chipset and CPU that can make me look at an ATI 9700 Pro as the weakest link deserves a ton of kudos. Maybe the days of encoding DivX and playing DOOM]|[ at the same time are not that far away?

Now just wait till those 2.4GHz Pentium 4-800 CPUs show up for cheap in May. I have a feeling that Intel may be very close to experiencing a rebirth in the enthusiast realm. Inexpensive CPUs that OC well and give you a top shelf experience? What's not to like.

Read the article here

Ask a Question