Intel PII 233/66 & Linux, realistic expectations?

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
Well something isn't right because it won't even receive it's first wu.
I can see think running in processes but not server, although when I try to -receive, it tells me to kill other server first. Meaning that the first try at installing fad left a server running somewhere, and I'll be darned if I can find it, or Kill it. :mad:
Even rebooting doesn't help.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ladypcer said:
Well something isn't right because it won't even receive it's first wu.
I can see think running in processes but not server, although when I try to -receive, it tells me to kill other server first. Meaning that the first try at installing fad left a server running somewhere, and I'll be darned if I can find it, or Kill it. :mad:
Even rebooting doesn't help.
:(
... and I'm no help. :blush:

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
I think I've already tried all the distros I'm interested in, so I guess I'll just re-install Suse.

muckshifter

Reaction score
ladypcer said:
I think I've already tried all the distros I'm interested in, so I guess I'll just re-install Suse.
ok, what were you using ... I missed that somewhere, didn't I?

:confused:

muckshifter

Reaction score
well ...

... I'm putting ME on this thing.

mucks now runs a mile

muckshifter

Reaction score
ladypcer said:
Ha! Good luck!! :D
Well ... ME is quite happy and runs on this thing as sweet as a nut ... :rolleyes: I don't need any drivers it found the lot, even me bloody 19" Iiyama ... :rolleyes:

Had to try something ... I wasn't sure if the hardware was all working. It is out of ark this stuff.

I'm upset now ... :(

Reaction score
Ok, for Lady:
in dsl, the file manager is called emlfm, it;s an icon right on the desktop. it opens as a 2 pane file viewer.
To find what is running in Linux, open a terminal window and type: top and hit enter, it will refresh in the window dynamically. the most active processes will be at the top. Note the PID number on the left fo the process you want to kill. Hit the q key to end top.

As an alternate, use ps -A to list all processes.
To kill a process, su, then do the ps -A. note the pid number on the left.
enter: kill -15 pid# to kill the process where pid# is the number noted. if -15 (terminate signal) doesn;t work, try -9 (kill), but -15 should be tried first.

Mucks, if dsl is not seeing everything, it is possible the cd is corrupt. did you verify the md5 sum was good before you burned it? Also if there is an older cdrom drive, it may be getting errors reading the media, a deathknell for any live cd.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Mucks, if dsl is not seeing everything, it is possible the cd is corrupt. did you verify the md5 sum was good before you burned it? Also if there is an older cdrom drive, it may be getting errors reading the media, a deathknell for any live cd.
The whole thing is old, nearly as old as me ... Win ME went on sweet as a nut ... no hardware problems my end.

Checksums all ok on all versions ... now installing SimplyM, for older PCs. ;)

Cheers though ... :thumb:

Reaction score
I only said that because winme is probably a commercial pressed cd, which will almost always work until a drive is dead. CDR or RW media are often not reliably readable on older cdroms. I have this issue with my older laptops, I have to use specific cdr media to be readable, and each one is different to what they like!

muckshifter

Reaction score
tjm4fun said:
I only said that because winme is probably a commercial pressed cd, which will almost always work until a drive is dead. CDR or RW media are often not reliably readable on older cdroms. I have this issue with my older laptops, I have to use specific cdr media to be readable, and each one is different to what they like!
Nope, it was a back-up Win ME CD ... ;) it is scrached and dented, and used as an ashtray ... :p

Sorry my Friend ... my luck with linux is poxed ... well, except this one. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Slax.
http://slax.linux-live.org/
SLAX is fast and beautiful Linux operating system which fits on small (3.14") CD-ROM disc. It runs directly from the CD (or USB) without installing. The Live CD described here is based on the Slackware Linux distribution and uses Unification File System (also known as unionfs), allowing read-only filesystem to behave as a writable one, saving all changes to memory.

----------
Requirements

SLAX is not pretentious, nevertheless it requires some minimal hardware to run properly. It depends on what do you wish to use SLAX for, of course. The most important thing is memory. You need at least 32 MB of RAM to boot slax. More detailed description follows:

Medium

either IDE connected CDROM (to boot from the CD)
or USB FlashDisk (to boot from the mass storage device)
or maybe some harddisk (to boot SLAX from the disk)

BIOS

either non-emulation booting enabled (to boot from the CD)
or USB FlashDrive booting enabled (to boot from the mass storage device)

Memory

36 MB to boot slax.
96 MB to run Xwindow with fluxbox
144 MB to run Xwindow with KDE

Processor

i486 or better, Pentium or AMD are both OK.

Peripheral devices

some keyboard
PS/2 or USB connected mouse (required for Xwindow only)
serial (COM) mouse is not automatically recognized, but can be used

Harddisk

No harddisk is required

I use slax alot to recover data from M$ and Linux machines alike........ very versatile. Very powerful, and yet can run in ram, and doesn't require a powerhouse computer to run. ;)

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
I don't think he's looking for a live cd, Crouse. He's wanting something small, fast and easy to use, that he can install to a small hd.

I can't believe he loaded WinME. :eek: :D

Reaction score
Linux YOPER it mean your operating system.
KDE desktop. It dual boots easy with Windows.
Its very fast, fits small drives, and uses low memory, and has almost everything.
I didnt try it very long to find out about problems.
I was having a hard time installing other programs on it, but I think is because I didnt know what I was doing and it made me insane. Its a little different that Red Hat that what Im more experienced with.
I had it running on a PII.

I like SLAX also ya dont even need a hard drive pluged in to get a PC going.
SLAX will live boot from a USB.
SLAX I think is the best program to use for recovery of files on a dead Windows PC becasuse its so small it will fit on a cheap $25 USB drive and have it with ya everywhere ya go.

Reaction score
Yoper is not for older machines. It requires at least a p3 to run properly as the kernel is optimized for 686 archetecture. it is very fast, and very stable, however it is old now. there have been no releases of it since sept of 04. the supposed next version is 2.2, but I expect to never see it as adreas has left the group and is now working for novell (I think).
I was not happy about that, as I think a current release would be a definate top 5 class os for most pc's. Oh well.

muckshifter

Reaction score
ladypcer said:
I don't think he's looking for a live cd, Crouse. He's wanting something small, fast and easy to use, that he can install to a small hd.

I can't believe he loaded WinME. :eek: :D
Yes, and as much as I hate to admit it, it will probably have to stay on there to. It went on with no problem, which is more than I can say for Linux. I'll try XP next. :eek:

naw, maybe not ... but I'm getting a little tired of "trying another distro" ... I tripped over an old copy of Mandrake the other day, damned if I can find them now.

:(

Reaction score
Looking for something that will run on old PCs like 386, 486 try Deli Linux ,
It doent have KDE desktop, but ya dont need eye candy.
I downloaded it for a friend and he liked it. He tought it was easy to use.
A lot of old rms will install on it.

Not much out there, thats for dinosaurs.

muckshifter

Reaction score
TG, I would not call a PII a dinosaur ... 386/486s, yes, they should all be extinct ... don't the space shuttle still use 486s. ;)

I'm getting a little tired of "trying another distro" ... WinME is installed, it works, it does what I need it to do, and it is staying there.

I myself have made a similar statement to the one you just made ... I retract it. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Mucks, just some thoughts here. Maybe it's time to stop d/ling and trying new distro's, sit back, take a breather, relax, enjoy a cocktail and relish how far you;ve come in so short a time.
You've got one good distro that serves your needs, is well supported and well liked (Suse).
maybe it's time now to just do some reading and learning about the os, how it works, commands, etc. After all, you spent years learning little tricks a nuances of windoze, you can;t expect overnight wizardry.
I know you said you are happy with winme on that old box, but linux will give you much better numbers and performance in fad. Taking the time to get a distro installed on a stubborn piece of hardware is where you really learn what's going on, and often that often sought after light bulb flicks on!
try the live dsl cd when you feel so inclined. when the first boot screen shows up, look thru the f1,f2,f3 boot options. I would suggest trying no acpi, nousb as a first shot. usb on older bards can be a problem, depending on the chipset. ACPI is not used on p2 era boards, and can really hose up a kernel looking for it. I wish I could remember all the other cheats, I'll have to boot it up live to see.
but, again, let it go for a while, and just enjoy what you;ve done!

Ask a Question