Integration of Acrobat with IE and Netscape when logged as a User

G

When logged as user, I can no longer have Acrobat (version 5) to open from within Internet Explorer, Netscape or FireFox when I am logged as User. It works without problem if I am logged as an Administrator or if I let IE, Netscape, or FireFox run as someone with Adminstrator's privilidege ("run as").

The symptoms are as follwos:

When logged as user and running either of these browsers without administrator's priviledge, I get the follwing problems when clicking on an URL of the type http://www.xxx/yyy.pdf :
- Internet Explorer: I receive the following error message "Could not find Acrobat ExternalWindows Handler" and I am stuck;
- Netscape: nothing opens, but if I click on "Save page as", I can save the PDF file...
- FireFox: same as for Netscape.

Now, I do NOT have problems in opening a PDF document if the link uses uses Javascript (of the type "javascript:view PDF (xxxx)".

Interestingly enough, this problem did not occur until about 3 weeks ago. So, something had to be changed in the configuration of my machine but I cannot trace it to any specific change I made.

Has anyone an explanation ?

Thank you for any help !

R

Rob Schneider

Try re-insatlling Acrobat while logged in as the user. This may reset
the configuration to allow it to work properly for that user.

You may also wish to check Adobe's support web site for more guidance.

Ensure you know if you are using Adobe Acrobat, or Adobe Acrobat Reader
when seeking help.

Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

rms

Ask a Question